Using iMovie '09 to upload to YouTube

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Qinetic, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Qinetic macrumors member

I just used iMovie for the first time today and so I tried to make a quick video to upload to YouTube. I discovered that I love iMovie and I think I'll be using it a lot from now on.

The problem is that my videos don't have the high quality option. How can I get my videos in high quality? I tried exporting it to Quicktime and that worked. But now I can't "share" that .mov to youtube like I can easily do with iMovie.

Also, when converting to a Quicktime movie file it takes a really long time using h.264 and 1280 x 720. Are there certain settings that cut down the exporting time without much quality sacrifice?

Thanks!

2. xStep macrumors 68000

First, don't use the Share-->YouTube option. Apple hasn't kept up to what UT is allowing for HD. Since you have a 720p source, you want to export to that 1280x720 file size. YouTube has a help page that explains when your video will get a higher quality version. It depends on what size you upload. Also note that it takes time to see the result after you have uploaded. I manually upload via my member page.

See my two video guides that will help you out. At the bottom of the YT one is a link to YTs help center.

Exporting good quality HD requires time. There is no way around that. OK, the Elgato Turbo.264 product could help speed things up.