using internal HD as external

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nhood01, Mar 1, 2011.

1. nhood01 macrumors member

Hi, im interested in using some 3.5" SATA internal HDD's as external backup drives for my macbook pro.

I'd like to do it without an enclosure. I like the look of the bare HDD. From what i understand, all that i require is a SATA USB adapter. Is this correct? I'd like to make sure i know what i'm doing before investing in hardware.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah I like that industrial look too. Yeah, all you need to do it is an adapter. You can either get a cord-like one, or one like THIS. That one's handy because it keeps wiring down to a minimum.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

One additional note. Since you're talking 3.5" drives, any method you choose will 99% likely require a wall outlet. Some enclosures can handle 2.5" on USB power, but I've never seen one that can handle a 3.5" without external power.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, I'm not sure that you'll be able to do that without an enclosure with a 3.5" drive. It will require external power, however there aren't really adapters for that without using an enclosure. there may be a clear enclosure you could get though.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

6. nhood01 thread starter macrumors member

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure that component is meant to plug internally into your computer. It's powered by a connector from your computer's power supply. You can tell because in the system requirements it's calling for a Mac Pro. The laptop won't power it unless you cut a few holes. ;)

I have the universal drive adapter mentioned in the most above. I use it for data restoration for failed client drives. Might be a good solution for what you're looking for. Plus if you come across laptop drives or old IDE drives it is compatible with those too.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I'd like to do it without an enclosure. I like the look of the bare HDD. From what i understand, all that i require is a SATA USB adapter. Is this correct? I'd like to make sure i know what i'm doing before investing in hardware."

Take a look at these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (various items shown -- pick the one you like)

Might be exactly what you're looking for. SATA "docking stations" make drive-swapping quick and easy. You can boot from them, too.

If you want more speed and connection options than just USB2, Other World Computing sells this:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/FWU2ESHDK/
    (a bit more expensive, tho)

9. nhood01 thread starter macrumors member

I see. Its meant for a desktop. I like the docking stations, but im not sure i wanna spend the extra cash for one. I think the universal drive adaptor is what i need.

For the specs on the

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/U3NVSPATA/

it says it includes a SATA 2.5″ Power Adapter Cable. Can i be sure that it will provide power for a 3.5"?

but it does say "USB 3.0 to IDE and SATA interfaces adapter: access your 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" drive as a removable storage on any computer"

Does anyone know what the deal is with that?

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Oh - the 2.5" uses a slightly smaller connector that requires the adapter it mentions. The way my particular one works is the Sata-to-Sata connector it mentions is from adapter-to-3.5" drive and if I want to connect a 2.5" drive, I pop the adapter to the end of the connector.

Power isn't a problem :)

11. nhood01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up, Belvins. Appreciate it.

12. nhood01, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

nhood01 thread starter macrumors member

One more thing...

Id like to hook up another identical drive and set up the two as a raid 1. Is there anything else i'm gonna need to accomplish this. I've never set up a raid before. I'd like to make sure this is gonna work.

Thanks!

edit: I'm looking to buy a pair of 1TB internal drives. Do you guys have any recommendations?

This looks pretty good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697&cm_re=seagate-_-22-148-697-_-Product

I know Seagate bought Maxtor some time ago, but im pretty sure the barracudas aren't maxtor parts.