Using internet on Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sophist, Feb 28, 2010.

1. sophist macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have spent many hours now trying to get on the internet from Parallels. I read several threads on this forum, searched Google, and poked around my computer as described below, but to no avail.

I am using a MacBook with an Intel processor and OS 10.5.8. I am running Windows XP version 2002 via Parallels 5.

A list of things I have tried:

1. Open Internet Explorer, receive message saying "web page is not available offline; to view click Connect," click Connect, see popup labeled "Dial-up Connection" which is of no use whatever.

2. Go to Virtual Machine --> Configure --> Hardware --> Network Adapter 1. All buttons are greyed out. Preselected options are as follows: "Connected," "Shared Networking," and an unchecked box for "Send host's MAC address to DHCP server."

3. Go to Preferences --> Network. Options here are not greyed out which is refreshing. "Shared networking" and "Enable DHCP Server" are already selected. Click "Show in System Preferences" and leave the rest alone.

4. Reinstall Parallels Tools. Then go to to Virtual Machine --> Stop and repeat 1-3 above.

5. Open System Preferences --> Network in Mac OS X. First item in the list on the left is Airport (green light, "Connected"). Next item is Parallels Shared Networking Adapter #0 (also green light, "Connected"). Click the latter. "Configure" is set to "Manually," change this to "Using DHCP" and click Apply.

6. Open System Preferences --> Sharing in Mac OS X. Turn on Internet Sharing. Select "Connection from: Parallels Shared Network Adapter #0". Check "Airport."

After every one of the above efforts I tried opening IE in Windows to no avail. Finally I figured I should really ask you guys.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm confused on what you're trying to do here. If you set Parallels to "Bridged" or "NAT" mode, that's it. Windows will automatically connect to whatever adapter's connected to the net. I don't understand what all the extra steps are for.

3. sophist thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot set Parallels to "Bridged" or "NAT" mode; those options are greyed out in the Configurations window. (I assume this is the window that you mean?)

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Eh, but is your Mac connected to the internet in any way?
    Usually Parallels connects via the same connection, either "bridged" (meaning sharing the same network, but staying on the same network), or "shared" meaning is "NAT" behind your Mac-network (which is default, and works without doing anything to the settings)

Take a look at these screenshots... do they look familiar?

Attached Files:

• P-1.jpg
      P-1.jpg
      File size:
      96 KB
      Views:
    • P-2.jpg
      P-2.jpg
      File size:
      102.8 KB
      Views:
  5. sophist thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently online using Airport on Mac OS X; when I try do go online from inside Parallels I get a message that I am not connected.

Both screenshots you refer to are all too familiar. The first looks exactly the same on my computer, IP addresses and all. The second also looks the same, but with a different MAC address and with all buttons/menus greyed out.

6. Ainze macrumors regular

Ainze

Maybe try reinstalling Parallels. I had a problem with the drivers it installed once. A whole bunch of features wouldn't work. After reinstalling it worked fine.

7. sophist thread starter macrumors newbie

I dunno... I just installed it today. I had previously been using Parallels 3, and I upgraded to Parallels 5 (Trial version) because I could not get the internet to work on Parallels 3. It takes so long to install and to uninstall.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Did you turn off the virtual machine before you did it? You could always turn off Windows and try to edit the settings

9. sophist thread starter macrumors newbie

10. tomllama macrumors regular

You did install Parallels Tools? You might want to reinstall them.

It makes no difference if the virtual machine is operating or not, the choices should not be grayed out - something is not right with your install.

I connect just fine on my MP via ethernet or the MBP via either ethernet or Airport (In Parallels 4 or 5, I never could get the Airport to work in Parallels 3).

11. aki macrumors 6502a

yeah i was thinking parallels tools. you could try just reinstalling that first.

the internet should work with no configuration/out of the box.

even tho its tedious, probably your best bet would be to uninstall and reinstall parallels, and try a fresh clean hd image, and see if you still have problems connecting with that

12. telecarver1 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. I am connected to my router via airport and I can't get ie 8 to connect. I have tried all of the options that sophist listed. I then installed parallels tools and the windows 7 window comes up in full screen but when I log in the parallels windows disappears and I can't see it pr open it.

I am using snow leopard on my Imac 27 and parallels 5

13. telecarver1 macrumors newbie

If I were to reinstall parallels would I also have to reinstall windows?

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As long as you don't mess with your virtual machine files, no. Reinstalling Parallels does NOT do anything to your virtual machines.

15. telecarver1 macrumors newbie

I connected to parallels live chat and the tech did a remote session via Mikogo. There were a number of settings he changed in the preferences. Too many and fast for me to record. It all works fine now. Tech support is free for the first 30 days.

16. smartgags macrumors newbie

Hey sophist,
    did you finally solve it?
    I am facing the same Question!
    No matter what I do (sharing or bridged) I can't get my Parallels to connect to the wifi internet!