Using internet recovery to get Lion on a new SSD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by heeby, May 5, 2012.

1. heeby, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

heeby macrumors member

I am installing a new SSD and have read that doing a fresh install with the internet recovery option is a good way to go. Some of the cloning/install methods don't seem to install the recovery partition on the new drive necessitating more nonsense to get it on there. Does the internet recovery install of Lion install the recovery partition on the new drive too?

2. John Kotches macrumors 6502

There's an apple tool to write the recovery partition to a USB drive. You might consider that instead of duplicating the recovery partition on an SSD which is likely smaller than the original drive.

This is the link :

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

3. heeby thread starter macrumors member

The link that link directs to says :

"If the computer shipped with Lion, the external recovery drive can only be used with the system that created it."

So does that mean you have to make an external recovery drive for each machine you have that shipped with Lion?

And would the internet restore put the recovery partition on the new drive as I asked initially?

4. John Kotches macrumors 6502

I haven't used internet recovery to build to a new drive.

My point with giving the link was that you were more than likely replacing your boot drive with a smaller one so saving the space was of value.

5. heeby thread starter macrumors member

Sure I appreciate that. It is a new machine going from 500 to 256. I don't know how much space the recovery partition takes.

6. Bear macrumors G3

The recovery partition is less than a gigabyte.

The Recovery Partiton is supposed to get created when you install Lion.

Anything you can do with the recovery partition can be done by using Internet Recovery. The only difference is having to download the recovery tools if you don't have the partition.

7. heeby thread starter macrumors member

So if I do an internet recovery to a blank SSD and also put the iLife suite back on the system should be exactly as it is now correct? (It is new and all I have done is turn it on to check function)