Using iOS 4.0 only apps on iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by awesomator, Jan 17, 2011.

1. awesomator macrumors regular

I have had my iPhone since 3 days after it first came out in 2007 (would of had it earlier but I was in glacier). I have been meaning to jail break it for ages. I am finally going to Jailbreak it. I have one question though. Is there any Application that would allow me to use apps that need 4.0 but do not actually use ios 4.0 features. Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nope, if the app needs iOS 4+ it will not work on 3.1.3 or lower. It'll crash before it even starts to load.

3. awesomator thread starter macrumors regular

4. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Not suicide: it's impossible. There is no iOS 4.0 for the 2G iPhone.

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

You can't even do that (at least, not that anybody has discovered, yet). Apple never released a 4.0 upgrade firmware for the original iPhone, so you're stuck with 3.1.3.

In theory, it should be relatively simple to make the iPhone 3G version of the 4.x firmware work on an original iPhone since many of the components are the same (CPU and GPU are the exact same, which is why the internal model name of the iPhone 3G is "iPhone1,2" instead of "iPhone2,1"...it's considered a slightly revised version of a first-generation product). I imagine with a little effort, one could get the 3G firmware to boot on a 2G phone. The wildcards would be driver availability for the other hardware (audio chip, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth are probably different in the 3G), not to mention the different baseband chip and the complications that might introduce.

But nobody has tried to make it work yet.

-- Nathan

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm guessing you have the 2G/original iPhone. In that case, 3.1.3 is the highest you can go. But if you some 4.0 features take a look at whited00r.

7. awesomator thread starter macrumors regular

I am sending an email to big Steve (Steve Jobs) about allowing iPhone users to install older versions of apps mentioning about how fragmentation of the iOS app store hurts apple.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think it'll help. The 2G iPhone is dead in Apple's eyes and it isn't coming back. Soon the iPhone 3G will be dead as well. Apple also isn't a big fan of back-porting software. So they won't make it easier for developers to make a 3.1.3 version of something just for the 2G.

9. ignus graius macrumors regular

Have you tried editing the .plist file that indicates what software version you're on? That can be found at /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

As an alternative you could google around for a Cydia hack that does this for you automatically. Here's a page I found:
    http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2009/10/10/fake-iphone-firmware/

It may not work, but it's probably worth a shot.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It won't work. The apps will crash before they reach the loading screen and probably force the OP's iPhone to reboot.

11. walie macrumors 6502a

He's not the person to email about that right now

12. ignus graius macrumors regular

Uh-oh. Nevermind then!

13. awesomator thread starter macrumors regular

I also wished for the best with his health.