All iPads Using iPad AND iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joekim1026, Nov 2, 2013.

  1. joekim1026 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2011
    #1
    Hello!

    I was wondering if there was anyone out there who use both iPad sizes. If you do, what are the benefits?

    I currently have the iPad 3 and was thinking of just getting the new iPad mini but I can't seem to logically explain to myself why I need both.

    For those of you who have both, how do you rationalize and use both effectively?
     
  2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

    Kadin

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #2
    I have the Air and recently sold my Mini for it. I might get the Mini Retina simply for taking on the go. Any reduced size and weight would help and my Air will be my solid "at home" device.
     
  3. ZBoater macrumors G3

    ZBoater

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida
    #3
    Me too. I love the larger screen of the Air but I a missing the light weight and greater portability of the mini. I might get both, use the mini on the go with my AT&T plan and use the Air more at home or work.
     
  4. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

    wickedwahine11

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2013
    #4
    Hi, I just got the iPad Air yesterday and currently have a Mini. I am really enjoying the larger screen for videos, playing games, reading my newspaper and sheet music. The Mini is better for me for book reading in bed, and using on the bike at the gym since it is easier to hold for longer periods of time.

    I thought the Air would be better for magazines and it probably is in general, but until Next Issue supports retina display I think it actually looks better on the Mini since the text is small but easier on the eyes. I think that is an anomaly to that app though since the magazines I subscribe to through Newsstand look much better on the Air.

    Now I'm just debating on selling my Mini to get the new one later this month. But yes, for me anyway, they both serve unique purposes and are both better at certain tasks.
     
  5. bidwalj macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2007
    #5
    The way I see it is that the iPad air can be a laptop replacement (if it fits your needs) and the mini is truly what the iPad / tablet category was made for. It's portable, light and can do many things on the go.
     
  6. patseguin macrumors 65816

    patseguin

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2003
    #6
    I had the 3rd gen iPad and the mini and used the mini almost exclusively because of how thin and light it was. Now that the Air is so thin and light API am more inclined to stick with 1 tablet useless the retina mini really jumps out at me as a more portable device.
     
  7. mcdj macrumors G3

    mcdj

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    I had a 4 and a mini. Used the 4 at home exclusively, and the mini stayed with me everywhere else.
     
  8. ZBoater macrumors G3

    ZBoater

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida
    #8
    For some people with very basic needs, perhaps. Add one of those nifty keyboards and free Pages and Numbers, and you are close. But if you have even the slightest need outside of that narrow use, like maybe you own a Garmin device and would like to use Basecamp or maybe upgrade the device firmware, you'll need a "real" computer. I use my MBA very little now. 80% of what I do I can do on the iPad. The other 20% though I need my MBA.

    ----------

    This is where I'm leaning. I think I'm ordering a Mini Retina to keep my iPad Air some company...
     
  9. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

    techiegirl

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2007
    #9
    I can't justify both the Air and the Mini, but I am testing the Air out for now while I still have the Mini. I took the Air out with me all day in my travels and I have to admit I really miss the size of the mini.
     

Share This Page