Using Ipad + Android phone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by archdelux, Mar 28, 2011.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

Do any of you have an ipad and an android phone? Any issues or pains with respect to compatibility or headaches associated with not having all your devices on one platform? (ie itunes not transferring, etc)

I understand that some apps like Double twist allow you to sync your itunes library with your android phone, but my question is - if you rate a song 4 stars on your ipad, for example, it will automatically sync that info with your computer when you connect. WIll it also sync that info with android? Does the android music player even allow for this cross talk?

Trying to assess if it will be a pain to go for an android phone while using a mac and ipad concurrently.

Thanks

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

As a iPhone 4, Xoom and MobileMe user I can tell you that email works seemless across all devices, however contacts takes a bit more work. Basically exporting out of mobileme, into gmail, but not the ease of syncing if you stay in the Apple eco system.

If you use Double twist on all devices, your updates should work fine. However if you stick to iTunes for the iPad and DT for the Android phone it's not going to be all the same on all devices.

Hopefully that made sense... I've been messing with a few "sync" programs and so far Double Twist with "airsync" works slick. Sync over wifi is rather nice.

3. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

I have an iPad 2 and an Android phone and have no issues to speak of, but I institute almost no inter-connectivity. I don't have (or want) any music on my phone. The apps I use on my phone are completely different than the apps I use on my iPad.

E-Mail syncs amongst everything just fine. That's probably the only thing I "keep the same" on both devices.

4. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

The only cross-platform app I've used is Dropbox and I never had an issue with it. It was certainly the easiest way to transfer pictures from my phone to the iPad for viewing.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

My mate uses Mac, iPad and NOKIA phone. He says he has no problems with it. I think it's nice to mix the platforms up. As much as I love the Apple products I am getting a bit bored of iOS now. I want to try something new.

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

I have a very cheap no-contract Android phone with unlimited everything. I don't have an iPhone because it doesn't support my carrier's 3G GSM frequencies. (Like T-Mobile in the US)

I mainly use my Android phone for phone calls, and wifi tethering which works great with mbp and iOS devices.

Like other people said above, I use DropBox and Evernote across my Mac, iPad, and Android and I've never had problems. But I don't listen to music on my phone, so I can't comment on that.

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I use an Android phone with my iPad and it works great. I listen to all my music through AudioGalaxy and manage files through DropBox, both are supported well in both platforms. On the other hand, i still havent find an equivalent to AirVideo on Android.

8. Mr Lime v2 macrumors newbie

HTC Droid Incredible/iPad 2 Wifi 16GB User

Well first things first, it is much more difficult to sync Android and Mac/iOS software. But it is possible. For example, my HTC Incredible Syncs with my Google Calendar which my iPad syncs too and my iCal on my Mac also syncs to. So when I add new info to my calendar from my phone, it will almost instantly sync to my Macbook Pro or my iPad. Email is easy to have sync to all devices. I have a GMAIL and YAHOO account and they both work perfectly. I download music from my phone and it'll show up in my iTunes when I sync my phone, but it doesn't go the other way around. So I just made a folder in my SDCARD on my phone and drag and drop the songs there and my music player finds it automatically. It takes some time, but it is possible. Oh, and if you root your phone you can download Wireless Tether for Android and make your Wifi iPad into a 3G iPad (sorta). :)

9. fnbdave macrumors newbie

if i purchased apps for my android phone already like slingbox, do i have to pay for them to wok on my ipad 2 as well?

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

Yes. The slingplayer application requires you to purchase it on every device you plan to use it with. Sucks, but true.

11. fsshariq macrumors member

Yes you will have to pay again since iOS and Android are two different platforms, unfortunately.

12. ravenas macrumors regular

I'll be adding an Android phone to my arsenal this week. Finally pulled the trigger on the LG Optimus from Virgin. No contract cheaper plan is what sold me. Only running Froyo 2.2 but it'll be interesting to compare/contrast with my iOS devices.

I'm most interested to see if this new Amazon Cloud service works well with the Android. The phone has limited space (only comes with a 2GB MicroSD card) so I doubt I'll keep much locally stored.

I'm hoping I can get my Android phone to do things like play music, watch a video, maybe a game or two, some Evernote, and PIMs. I want to test out Google apps more including the built-in GPS navigation.

From what I've been told Android is not the nightmare to sync iOS-users tend to suppose. A bit clunkier and not as finely integrated with a content client like iTunes. I expect I'll be going back to my old PocketPC days a bit.

I'll add to this thread again once I have a few days to compare.

13. steleven9 macrumors member

Haven't tried to sync docs, etc. But, I do want an phone now. Just got a droidx as a warranty replacement for my droid2 and I hate it. Hope to see Verizon iphone5 soon.

I did connect via blue tooth easily fwiw

14. TheDoct0r macrumors newbie

The only thing I've really done between my android phone (droid 2 global) and my ipad is WiFi tethering (gogo root), drop box (no issues), and Evernote (again, no issues).