Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Does anyone know of an app to turn an iPad INTO a bluetooth keyboard? Given an iPhone and carrier that does not support tethering, I would like to use the iPad as an external keyboard for the iPhone. Of course, not finding said app in the app store might be my answer.

I suppose the alternative might be vnc'ing to the iPhone.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Great idea. It's possible to make such app.
What I have been looking for is a way to turn an iPad into a standard USB Keyboard (proper cable required).
I do believe both are possible to do.

I do remember seeing an app that would behave as a keyboard, but requires a helper utility to be installed on the host computer.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why not just get a bluetooth keyboard for the iPhone? Apart from all the technological hurdles you would have to jump to use the iPad to input keystrokes to the iPhone, you would have to prop the iPhone up somewhere, and hold the iPad in your hand, and watch the iPhone screen as you tap on the iPad... Seems like a lot of juggling to do.

ranny2

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
HippoRemote is an app which allows you to use your iPad/iPhone as a keyboard and trackpad, however not using Bluetooth... it uses Wi-Fi and works pretty well. Hopes this helps.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I probably misinterpreted this, but wouldn't iOS 5 fix this? if you're on the same WiFi as your iPhone, your iPad should be able to receive all of your messages from your iPhone. Now given, you have to be on the same WiFi, which could be a hassle if you don't have a home WiFi.

johannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
If I had wifi access in this situation I would simply use the iPad. In this situation I only have Internet access via the iphone but the carrier does not allow tethering.

Regarding hippo remote, this assumes a wifi network and is really only designed as a remote for your computer.

I simply want a larger keyboard than the iPhone's in this scenario. I am already traveling with the iPad and the iPhone and do not want to carry an external iPhone BT keyboard as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.