Using iPad as a home LTE router

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipedro, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I came upon this obscure little known law in Canada whereas a provider cannot bill you for more than double the amount of your contract.

i.e. If my home internet has a limit of 150GB for $50 p/month and each extra GB is $2, they can't charge me more than $100 total even if I use 500GB that month.

This got me thinking. I have an LTE plan for my iPad with speeds way exceeding even my home internet (40mbps down, 25mbps up!). My iPad plan is $35 for 5GB. If this law applies here, I could disconnect my home internet and use my iPad as a router for my MacBookPro and AppleTV. I could use as much data as I want and they couldn't charge me over $70 per month.

Thoughts?

2. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I have found the iPad's hotspot feature to be very flaky.

As soon as I step outside the iPad's range, the hotspot turns off automatically. I have to keep restarting it.

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

That seems to be per design. It's a "feature" that turns off the sharing when nothing is connected so that the iPad isn't draining battery.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

My initial thoughts? "cool story, bro", but as that doesn't make good posting material: I suggest you properly look into this law and it's integrity, then check that your carrier won't cut off your service/limit your speeds if you excessively go over the limit. Finally, try it out? You could start something productive here.

Oh, and damn, broadband is expensive in Canada.

5. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Even if this law is true, your carrier can still cut off your service if you are not making them a profit.

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm gonna try. For the first 2 months, Telus gives me unlimited LTE for $5. This will allow me to see how much data I end up using and if Telus cuts me off at some point. Next month I'll test the pricing to see how much I get charged for 10GB. If it tops out at double my $35 contract then we're on to something. If not, the most I'll pay for 5GB over is $100.

That has crossed my mind but a contract goes both ways. They cannot cancel a contract without penalty just as I cannot cancel a contract without penalty.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

UNLESS stated somewhere in the contract are terms that you may not be keeping to. You may have agreed to not have "excessive" usage, or something. Which is still subjective

Anyway, if this works, would it not make more sense to buy a MiFi device (if they exist for LTE)? I wouldn't want my iPad running constantly as a router. Both inconvenient and a battery drain.

8. Kyllle macrumors 6502

If you're on a contract for your iPad does that mean you got it at a subsidized price? If so, their penalty would probably just be allowing you to keep the iPad which you got for a discounted price.

Let us know how this goes though, I'd be interested to see what happens.

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

No, I purchased my iPad.

I've already begun the experiment. I'm getting much better internet speeds than my broadband cable.

10. ipedro, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012

ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

No they can't. Just like I can't end my contract if I feel there are other alternatives. That's why it's called a contract. They can buy out the contract they have with me if they feel that's better for their bottom line.