Using iPad as Music Teacher.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kriista1234, Sep 1, 2010.

1. kriista1234 macrumors 6502

I've been a professional music teacher for about 17 years. I teach piano and guitar, in one to one, and more recently, small group contexts.

One of the main reasons I'm getting the iPad is to teach with. I've only recently ordered the iPad and don't start teaching again until next week, so all this is in the planning stages.

Here are the apps I plan on using.

1) Numbers
    To keep track of attendance and generate invoices as needed.
    From what I've read you can't export excel files, but you can e-mail PDFs, which would be ideal, as I can send out my invoices directly from the iPad/Numbers without needing to convert things to PDFs and print them.
    I'm curious to see how easy it is to input data on the iPad from a file built on my computer. As in drop down value fields and such. Has anyone had any experience using Numbers this way?

2) ForScore
    This appears to be the best/cheapest sheet music app I've come across. It comes with a ton of music built in, a built in metronome, it lets you import PDFs, annotate files, and assign mp3s to sheets too.
    I've already scanned most of the books I used to carry around. So if a student has forgotten their books, or if it's a first lesson, I can use the scanned version, and add fingering/notes as needed on the screen.
    Not sure how loud the built in speaker is, but it would be great to use it for playalongs. I might have to look into a battery powered external speaker. (Any suggestions?)

3) GoodReader
    For larger PDFs (all the RealBooks for example), and reference books.

4) Nota HD
    For general quizzes, and interactive/touch learning. Primarily for young beginners.

5) iPod
    For mp3/example playbacks as well as video examples.

I wish there were more music teacher related apps. Nota is the only pro looking one I've seen. There was one other I saw, but it looked like garbage.
    Numbers looks like a perfect solution for attendance/invoicing as the data is related, so it saves me from having to tally things up at the end of the month/year.

I saw a post a while back from someone who used the iPad on a jazz guitar course (as a student) and it seemed really inspiring, in terms of linking all the technology/apps together. Most of it seemed geared to being the student as opposed to the teacher.

Anyone else using an iPad in a similar way?

2. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

Hello. I say your list is pretty good. I don't use my iPad to teach but I do use it to reference and read lead sheets when performing. Toolbox for Musicians should also be great for helping your students understand the circle of 5ths(4ths) and assist with chord theory.

3. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a pretty expensive app for a colorful circle of fifths. Gonna read through the description a bit more to see what it's about.

Thanks for the link though, it linked to plenty of other music ed apps.

4. Casuist macrumors newbie

I know this thread is old, but for anyone stumbling across it on google like I did, there's a few more apps out there now for music teachers.

One being Music Resources, which has a database of worksheets and diagrams.

Then there is Karijan, ear training software.

I also use a decent tab program like TabToolkit, although you can't print from these at this stage.