Using iPad charger VS. USB wall ports?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kat.hayes, Oct 14, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I am thinking of replacing some of my 110v wall ports with ones that just have USB ports to plug in my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook. Anyone have any idea how these compare when charging these devices with just the USB cables VS. using the USB cables with the power supplies plugged into the wall?

Thanks.

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You mean something similar to:

http://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23711643/

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

If the USB port voltages match the iPad brick, then it should work the same. If the voltage is lower, then the iPad will just charge slower.

4. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It's not a question of voltages, but a question of current. The iPad charges at its maximum speed at 5V 2.4A, but will still "charge" at 5V 1A.

There's only one exception to this, the 29W USB-C charger which charges the 12.9" iPad Pro at 14.5V. However no charger other than Apple's can charge the 12.9" iPad Pro at this speed, and only with Apple's USB-C to lightning cable.

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I installed one of those USB wall outlets. It works great. Just make sure you read the specifics of the outlet that you buy. I made sure to get one that has the regulators built in so it won't damage the iPad or iPhone. The one I got has 2 USB ports, both of which can go up to 2.4A, but in the case of an iPhone being plugged in, it will adjust to the lower current that is needed.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You you absolutely sure it steps down when the phone is plugged in? My 6s doesn't step down when it's on my 6 port fast-charger.

7. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Please pardon my ignorance, though we have small children. What happens if a small child were to put his/her finger or on object inside of a USB port in the wall? I'm assuming the current runs through it the same way it runs through a standard outlet?

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it has the same protections as an Apple certified charger. You have to do research on the specific brand before making a purchase. I can't remember the brand I got, but I bought it at Home Depot and I looked at their website and read about it before purchasing.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If you say so, but I'm skeptical.

I have the ravPower 6-port charger and when I plug my 6s there, it charges at a much faster rate than on the USB ports on my laptop.

I like using a lower amperage charger for my phone and IPad 2. The latter has only shown a 18% degradation w/battery in 5.5 years of use. And I attribute that to the lower charger.

People want to fast charge everything now, but it has a drawback. Chargers reflect the consumer need.

Ymmv.

10. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

You just need to read about the product -- you need one with "smart" USB outlets, meaning the USB outlets adjust the current to match the device that is charging.

As for the speed, USB ports on a laptop are typically 0.5A, where as a regular iPhone charger is 1A. The wall outlet that I have is rated for 2.4A, but will adjust down to 1A when charging the iPhone just the same as using an iPad charger to charge your iPhone will do.

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Newer iPhones(6 and up) willl take the full power of an ipad charger. With older phones they would only take the needed 5 watts even from a 12 watt adapter.

12. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

And that's why I will continue using my USB port to slow-charge my phone.