Using iPad charger with iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by helix21, Oct 16, 2011.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

I've noticed that using my iPad charger with my iPhones means that the iPhone charges significantly faster. Looked in the pack and noticed that the iPad charger is twice as powerful as the iPhone one...

Is it a bad thing to use the more powerful charger? Is anyone else doing this? What's your experience?

I'm worried about possibly a negative effect on the battery more than anything.

2. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Your going to get answers both ways on this.

I use the iPad charger, for the same reason you mentioned. but once it gets to 90 something percent charged I take it off, and don't leave it plugged in (ie overnight).

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

4. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good find! Thank you.

I then wondered why does Apple simply include the iPad charger with the iPhone and looked up the prices. The iPad charger is $10 (1.5x) more expensive than the iPhone one! This might not sound a lot but remember that Apple doesn't even include those horrible headphones with the iPad as a means of saving money!

It's a bit like charging via USB and charging via wall charger in terms of charging speed.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It is fine. I do this with my 4, and the battery is the same

6. spades1412 macrumors 6502

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's also significantly bulkier.

8. Justim macrumors 6502

It does charge a lot faster, but they package the 5w charger with the iPhone for a good reason. Over time, more powerful chargers can decrease battery life.

Using it every once in a while is fine, but overnight usage of any charger can hurt batteries, thus lower wattage is safer.

Fortunately, this is truer for other manufacturers. Apple does a fantastic job designing the batteries, hardware, and software components so that even misuse doesn't do as much harm as it normally would.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

9. vitog123 macrumors 6502

i had charged my ip4 with an ipad charger since day 1 and my wife charged hers with the regular iphone charger.

If anything id like to think that i had the better battery life between the 2 of us before we sold them off for the 4s'... No real proof to say one way or the other it just seemed i always had more battery left and we both used them alot.

----------

and that was charging the phones every night/over night..