Using ipad in a specific car audio application with external music library?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by blackreplica, Jan 5, 2011.

1. blackreplica macrumors member

I'm not sure if I am asking this in the right place but I am quite baffled with my predicament

I have an intended car audio application using only an ipad and an external hard drive, if possible

I want to copy my entire itunes library of music (about 200GB) onto an external drive. This drive will not be connected to another mac, but will need to be accessed by the ipad (i am not too concerned whether it's through wireless or USB).

The hard drive will be mounted in my car, and the ipad will form the front end, replacing the head unit. I will browse my collection of music, stored on the hard drive, trough the ipad

I have no problems with jailbreaking the ipad as long as it is untethered.

Is this even possible?

The only way i can think of to make this work would be to have a second small OS X machine (like a mini) mated to the hard drive with my music, then setting up a small wireless network which allows the ipad to access the mini's music library wirelessly. This won't even require jailbreaking or hacking but this is far too convoluted and introduces a full os x machine into the setup which is costly and problematic as i now have to look after power issues for the mac with car use.

Is there a simpler way?

2. Sethgun macrumors newbie

hi buddy,

Im in the same boat. What solution did you figure out?????