Using iPad in direct sunlight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spazer, Mar 17, 2010.

1. spazer macrumors member

How viewable is the iPad screen in direct sunlight? The iPhone is very usable in direct sunlight, but laptops like the MBP are nearly unusable. For the iPad to serve well as an ebook reader, it's screen needs to be as readable in direct sunlight as the Kindle or iPhone...

Does anyone know yet?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Nope.

3. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Call back after April 3rd.

4. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Is there any reason to assume it won't be as good as the iPhone?

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Assuming has often gotten me in trouble.
    No one will know until someone gets their hands on one and goes out in the sunshine with it.

6. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I would think it would be close to the iPhone and iPod Touch right now. Although the size of the screen we can't tell yet.

7. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

Go to your desktop, lift up your IPS-screen, and set it in direct sunlight. Is it readable? Then the ipad is readable in direct sunlight.

8. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

9. ebika macrumors 6502

Classic vampires, yes. Doesn't apply to zombies or sparkle-pires. ;)

10. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

Doesn't apply. They use netbooks.

11. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Apple should offer a anti-glare screen option!

I don't like plastic overlays.

Sun glare on my iPhone can be a problem.

[​IMG]

12. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Nice. Now show us what the screen looks like while its on. How much is color accuracy affected? What about brightness? No way you make the screen matte like that and not have some effect somewhere. It's very much possible that the effect is negligible but I'll be skeptical till then.

13. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Assuming makes an ass of u n me. :D

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Anybody?

Want to use one flying in a Cessna for charts/maps.

ty...

15. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

Tried to use my iPad while watching a softball game on Sunday. The bad news: I had to move to shade to see the screen. Direct sunlight = not a good experience. :(

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I used mine sorta this past weekend. I just left the GPS app running while i was being playing Mission Scanner in the back of a 172. I think it would work ok. It was cloudy though so i can't speak much on the screen since i wasn't in the direct sun.

I won't get another chance until July to try it out again, but i'm thinking it will work pretty good for my needs.

I need some sort of a strap case for it though so i can perch it on my leg!

17. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

This is pretty much going to be the case for anything that relies on it's own light source for visibility.

You pretty much need something that uses the suns light, rather than tries to overpower it with it's own, if you want good sunlight visibility.

Something like a Pixel Qi display. But there is a massive trade-off. Everything I have seen of the Pixel Qi display so far it looks quite horrendous indoors with the back-light on, faded colors, poor viewing angles, washout from room lights.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Did try a few times to use the iPad in direct sunlight... and was usable in a pinch... the issue was more of the reflections off the glossy screen...

19. fuhrj macrumors newbie

I took my iPad to the pool today.

I had the brightness jacked all the way up and still was unable to play any games. The Kindle app was not bad and I was able to read my book, but it wasn't as crisp as my girlfriend's Kindle that she was using.

However, after reading a few pages, my iPad went to a black screen telling me that it needed to cool down. It was only about 75 out today and I didn't have it laying around in the direct sunlight. That's the first time I saw that message.

My guess is that given the aluminum back and black display, it probably absorbs the rays.

20. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Useless in the sun. I couldn't see a thing. The kindle app has different fonts for reading in sunlight nut the rest is useless.

21. Battlestar macrumors 6502

If you use it in direct sunlight for a prolonged period of time it will have a tendancy to heat up which will in turn cause it to shut down.

22. MrFuzz macrumors newbie

In my experience it's not usable in direct sunlight. Even with the brightness up all the way.

23. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

[​IMG]

I still vote for a non-glare screen option from Apple

I use my iPad mainly on the go and I constantly have to adjust the screen angle due to glare

24. chrisqmalibu macrumors newbie