Using iPad in landscape

Dino F

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Just wanted to post my thoughts on this!

It's probably because I have never owned a previous iPad before but I am finding that when I use the iPad in landscape mode and I want to return to the home screen, I go to press the home button thinking that it is underneath the display instead of pressing the real home button which, of course is to the left ( when display is in landscape).

Is this weird?!

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Just wanted to post my thoughts on this!

It's probably because I have never owned a previous iPad before but I am finding that when I use the iPad in landscape mode and I want to return to the home screen, I go to press the home button thinking that it is underneath the display instead of pressing the real home button which, of course is to the left ( when display is in landscape).

Is this weird?!
It's not weird, but I never do it.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I almost always use the iPad in landscape mode. Its nice having the home button near my left or right thumb. But gestures is where it's at.

ObsidianBlade

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I almost always use the iPad in landscape mode. Its nice having the home button near my left or right thumb. But gestures is where it's at.
This. There have also been times when I was using it in the dark and pressed the camera instead of the home button but I've never pressed the "bottom" (side).

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
This is. Big part of why I pretty much don't use the home button on the iPad and have moved over to the gestures.

My proble is that now I keep trying to use the gesture on my iPhone.

MarcBook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
United Kingdom
As others have mentioned, the multi-tasking gestures are brilliant and help to overcome this habit.

The pinch-to-Home gesture (the one relevant here) obviously works in any orientation and means that you don't even have to think about the location of the Home button. :)