Using iPad sim for Voip on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apatel87, Jun 10, 2010.

1. apatel87 macrumors regular

Hi guys, I just had a quick question about the iPad sim. I was wondering if I could use the sim as a way to get data and make phone calls on my 3gs. I found a tutorial: http://www.pcworld.com/article/196368/hacking_an_ipad_sim_in_an_iphone_why_you_should_care.html

I wanted to know if there was any way I can configure my google voice or something to use my existing phone number for incoming calls/texts and outgoing calls/texts. basically, i want to know if there is a way to use the ipad 3g sim, cancel my plan, and then use VOIP while not having to change my number because of call forwarding. I am not asking for moral judgement here, I am just asking if people know how to do it or if it is possible. Thanks in advance!

2. apatel87 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, i know of the microsim versus normal sim problem and it doesnt seem too difficult to convert the microsim to a normal sim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. apatel87 thread starter macrumors regular

can anyone help, please? any advice is appreciated.

4. groovyguy macrumors newbie

No moral issue with me!

So, I've been researching the same thing myself. I'm not sure of the GoogleVoice part, but it is definitely possible to use that data only connection to make your iPhone a VOIP phone. Using Fring is one possible way. They allow you to input you SIP info into the phone and then Fring notifies you of incoming calls, it also uses your contacts list! I'm sure these type of features will be much better in iOS 4.

Now, all you need to do is find a VOIP provider that has the ability to port your existing number and will provide SIP. I'm in Canada, and a lot of people here have been recommending voip.ms. You can get unlimited incoming calls for $5/month. Pretty nice. Here is a forum with a conversation that is somewhat about this topic:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/voip-ms-did-sale-ont-que-878432

Now the only real issue with this type of setup is the SMS/MMS problem. In terms of straight solutions that work exactly like SMS, I am not aware of one. It's partly a carrier issue. I have a hard enough time sending messages from my Telus phone to my friends Rogers phone....pretty ridiculous.

That being said, there are iPhone apps that use data to send SMS messages to the other party. In term of them contacting you, they wouldn't do it through your phone number but a number with your user name attached (Text+ does this). I would say look around at all the different SMS apps, specifically highly used ones.

Hope that helps. Only thing holding me back right now is the SMS stuff. I message more than I talk, but most people could email now. I'm stuck in the middle of a great technological upheaval, trying to move forward but being held back!

5. apatel87 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the response! i was wondering if anybody would have anything to help out with. I am not sure if I understand you correctly but using the client that you are talking about I can have calls that would originally be going to my phone number forwarded to this VOIP account. Basically, would I have to give everyone my new number or would I be able to keep the same number but just use the client to have all my calls forwarded. I mean, I could use the skype app and get a new number with that if its going to save me a lot of money. I am assuming SMS is free with skype. I like the google voice integration but I cant see a way to use that and keep my existing number.

6. apatel87 thread starter macrumors regular

Also I have used Fring in the past with my google voice and gizmo5 integration. I am pretty sure you are aware of what Google voice does but if not it provides a link between two numbers. You call using google voice and it will link the phone number you want to call with another number. That other number is my gizmo5 number that allows unlmited free incoming calls. This would get annoying because I would use google voice to place the call and I would be getting the incoming call in my fring app. I would have to switch applications to get the call connected. On top of that, the number that poeple were seeing on their caller id was my google voice number.

I somehow wanted to make it my actual phone number. If that is not possible then its fine but I just wanted to see the easiest way to make calls and send text messages using data only. it would be okay if my number would change as long as I have a seamless way of making calls and sending texts. if you know of any way to do this please let me know. Thanks!