Using iPad to import photos and Photostream

Discussion in 'iPad' started by j-a-x, Oct 15, 2011.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I like the new Photostream feature of iCloud because it lets me easily import photos taken with my iPhone and iPad to Aperture... very cool.

However, I like to use my iPad as a place to download photos from my dSLR camera when I am traveling because I can use it to delete some of the bad ones before I import to Aperture when I get home. I take a lot of photos so on a given weekend I might have a gigabyte or two to download.

I noticed today that Photostream started adding all of the dSLR photos to my photo stream. This is bad because each photo from my dSLR is between 8 and 10 MB and when I am traveling I'm usually on a slow or unreliable wifi connection. Importing 200 8 MB photos to Photostream isn't practical.

Does anybody know if there's a way to not automatically sync all IMPORTED photos to Photostream on the iPad and only sync photos that were actually taken with the iPad?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You're not going to get that much control from Apple, ever.

1. Turn photostream off before doing DSLR transfer.

2. Realize you're on wifi, you're not having to pay for that bandwidth, even if it is unreliable/limited. Photostream doesn't transfer via 3G.

3. SmittS macrumors regular

The iPad and iPhone should add to PhotoStream automatically. IPhoto will do this with newly imported pictures as well, but you can turn it off. Go to "preferences", "photo stream" then untick the auto import option. I cant remember exactly what it says.

4. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

The problem with the wifi was that the network was so slow that my iPad attempting to upload a few gigs of photos slowed everything to a crawl and made email and web browsing mega slow. I think if I turn off photo stream it deletes all of the photos from my iPad's photo stream that have already been imported and I kind of like seeing my iPhone photos there. I guess turning it off is better than leaving it on when I am dealing with gigs of photos though.

This might be off topic but here's something really cool about photos in iOS 5. If I import from my dSLR to my iPad, and then crop/straighten the photos on it, then import to Aperture, the photos that are imported in Aperture have the adjustment data transfers plus the original, and I can actually re-crop and re-rotate the photos in Aperture as if they were adjusted in Aperture in the first place. Pretty slick!