Using ipad2 charger for iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mario Loco, May 11, 2011.

1. Mario Loco macrumors member

If I use my ipad2 charger on my iphone4, will it screw up my battery? I have seen many posts about this but no one gives a definitive answer. I known the iPad charger is a 2.1 watt charger and will charge the battery much quicker, but will this ultimately damage my iPhone as it was made to charge over a 1 watt charger?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Carterxx macrumors member

ive been using my ipad/ipad2 charger on my iphone 4 since it has come out. I havent had any battery issues. I also asked a genius this same question when I while I was in the store last week, and he said it wouldn't do anything. Just do not use the iphone charger to charge the ipad

3. patp Guest

exactly. Safe to use and no issues. The iPad charger actually charges the Iphone a bit faster than the stock charger.

The ipad won't charge from an Iphone charger Not enough juice.

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

You guys should really do some searching before you start posting. Or at least have some real world experience.

The iPad will charge from a iPhone charger just at a slower rate. It's reverse for iPad charger to iPhone.

5. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Yes. What he said.

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You seem qualified to work at an Apple store. They usually have no idea what they're talking about. You'd fit in quite well.

7. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Aggressive
    Forum
    Testosterone
    Syndrome

Can't be helped :eek:

8. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

doesnt the iPad say "not charging" when you use the iPhnoe charger tho?

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

Nope, it just charges slowly. It says not charging when plugged into a computer with a USB port that doesn't provide enough power. Even then the iPad will charge very slowly when the screen is off. If you turn the screen on you will see not charging though, and the battery will go down.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you're using it, yeah. That charger can't give power to run it AND charge the battery.

But if you put it to sleep then the iPad will (slowly) charge from the iPhone adapter.

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

From my experience the iPhone charger does charge the device while it is being used. The icon at the top will indicate it is charging, but it will charge slow. As I mentioned above, if you have it plugged into an old computer it won't charge while it is being used and will indicate "not charging". In that case it will charge slowly if you put it to sleep.

12. patp Guest

i must say, this made me laugh out loud (LOL), even though it was aimed at me.
    :D

13. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I use my iPad charger to charge up my iPhone occasionally. It'll charge quiet a bit faster but I've noticed that the battery seems to drain faster as well. Not sure why.

14. xMClass macrumors 6502

Look here where it says "This accessory is compatible with the following:"

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A

The iPhone 4 is on that list.

The smaller iPhone 4 charger DOES charge the iPad (I know this first hand) but it does indeed charge a lot slower than the 10W iPad charger.

15. Mario Loco thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. This makes me feel much better!!

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I had the same results when I charged my 3GS with the ipad charger. Battery went down real fast to a point where it just turned off. Not using it anymore on my phone. ;)