Using iPhone 1 2G as iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sillyhat8905447, May 19, 2011.

1. sillyhat8905447 macrumors newbie

Hello

I have been researching this problem for a while and have not found a concrete solution to it. I've heard different things so I came here to see if anyone could help me out. I just bought a iPhone 1st gen, 2G off of Ebay because my sister wanted to use it as an iPod Touch and it was cheaper than buying an iPod Touch somehow. The iPhone comes unlocked it says with NO SIM card. Therefore, my question is, will she be able to use it as an Ipod Touch without the SIM card? Or is there something else that will need to be done to make it function as an iPod Touch? We have Sprint and they do not use SIM cards.

Thank you and any help is appreciated.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, she cab use the iPhone as an iPod without a sim card inside. The iPhone just needs to be activated for it to be used.

3. sillyhat8905447 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, so all I'll need to do is find a SIM card and activate it with that SIM card through iTunes then remove said SIM card and it will function as a Touch without the SIM card?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Or you can use redsn0w to hacktivat it without the need of SIM card.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct.
    If you want to just use it as an ipod I'd run redsnow to hactivate it.
    If you try to activate it officially with itunes it will make you choose your minute plan and add a data package to that line.