Using iphone 2g overseas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UmaThurman, Jul 19, 2009.

1. UmaThurman macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Hi, I was wondering if someone with prior experience with using their iphone overseas could help me. I'm moving to Portugal for one year, and I have an unlocked iphone 2g (using it with tmobile). My question is, would I be able to use this phone overseas with one of their carriers? i hope that i can either get on a monthly plan or prepaid plan in Portugal, but will my iphone work (i really don't want to have to spend money on buying another phone over there). If anyone is knowledgeable about this, please please help me out! :D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It should work fine. There must be GSM carriers in Portugal.

3. t-oliveira macrumors newbie

t-oliveira

Well i live in Portugal and yes you can, there are 3 operators and they're great .
    But if youre iPhone is locked, you cant use a sim card from one of these operators .

4. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

well, i think my phone is unlocked? it's working with t-mobile, so i believe i unlocked/jailbroke it correctly? that means i will be able to use it with another gsm company over there?

5. TechZone macrumors member

TechZone

You phone is already unlocked. I used my unlocked iPhone 2g in overseas without any problem. You may have to change the network settings to get net data working.