Using iPhone 3G in Europe...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Sep 14, 2008.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Whoa.. I did that thing like Apple does where they refer to it as "iPhone" instead of "the iPhone"

Anyhow, I'm going to Germany for about a week. I live in the U.S. w/ AT&T as my provider...

What can/can't I do with my iPhone over there as far as calls/data?

Thanks. =)

2. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

3. justinomg macrumors member

(I'm on 02-UK, so this probably won't be much use to you, but here goes anyway).

When I went to Spain, I turned off push calendar/contacts and fetch email, so I didn't acquire a large bill (It's something like £3 per MB in the EU and £6 per MB elsewhere on O2).

Although, near the holiday I turned on data roaming and used up a couple MB of data so I could check something on the internet.

Not much use, but whatever. You're probably best checking AT&T's website/calling them up?

4. Tweak3D macrumors regular

already been there several times with my iphone. I reccomend keeping in airplane mode unless you are going to buy and expensive international plan for data and voice because if you don't have one of these, you will be paying out your you kno what to AT&T.

Since the Almighty AT&T gods will not let me unlock it I just purchased a travel phone and use a T-mobile Deutschland sim card. Very cheap and gives me a local #. Plus now if you break or lose this phone while you are away no worries.

-Justin

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

As long as you've worked with AT&T to enable international access, just about everything on your iPhone should work.

As mentioned, it's extremely expensive to do data, and the iPhone does a lot of data "behind the scenes", so really keep an eye on it.

Make sure you understand how AT&T bills voice calls, too. With T-Mobile, if you were roaming overseas and someone called you, if you didn't answer (and the call went to voicemail), you still got charged for an international call (even though you didn't answer) because the call was basically forwarded from the overseas cell tower where you were back to the voicemail system in the US. It was explained as "that's just how GSM works", so AT&T might work the same way. :confused:

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, for one thing you can forget visual voice mail, I don't think any European carrier has implemented it and at least one of them have stated that they never will support it.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

I lived in Germany

I lived in Germany for 4 years (just recently returned to the USA)... Do yourself a favor and get the international plan or don't take your phone. I had to make some calls on my "USA" plan and the charges were HUGE! One call of about 10 min was over 40 dollars. If you need to have a phone there, get the plan but if not then my advice is to leave the phone at home.

You can get prepaid German phones for about 19 Euro that are rechargable at any gas station or by phone if you need something for local calls.

Lastly, don't think that you are going to find WiFi either. Having lived there for 4 years, I only found one router that was unlocked. Most of the time you have to pay for access.