Using iPhone 3G [S] on Vodafone (UK).

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tinytom101, Jul 11, 2009.

1. tinytom101 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I am new to Mac forums and so don't know how to start my own question so i'm posting on this one.
    i am getting an american iphone 3gs on at&t in a week and i wanted to ask a few questions.
    i am on vodafone in the uk and have unlimited internet on my contract. i was wondering if i need to unlock the iphone before it works with my vodafone simcard and how do i do that?
    also, once i unlock it, will safari browser work on my iphone? and do i need to change some settings to make it work? how do i do that?
    and, will all the applications on the iphone work once i've done this? for example, will i be able to download things from the app store and the itunes store?
    finally, what are the things i need to consider with software updates etc? i've been told that if you unlock your iphone and then try to update the software, then it can block the iphone, sometimes permanently. is this true?
    sorry to bombard you guys with all these questions. its just that i'm really confused.
    thanks
    tinytom101

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

1) Yes you need to unlock the iphone if you want to use your vodafone sim.

2) When you unlock it, yes safari should work, you just need to put vodafone internet/msg setting.

3) yes all applications should work after you unlock it. you can still use app store and itunes store.

4) Unfortunately if you decide to use apple update, your iphone will be locked and you will need to unlock it again (this will happen every time you update, not sometimes).

5) as on how to unlock, they are few softwares available, check the iphone hack forum and you will find your answer (I am sure there is a software available to jail break, but i don't think there is currently a software to unlock the 3GS, however, i am sure it will happen soon) guys please correct me if i am wrong.

Hope this help :)

Edit: eshroom, just correct the setting issue, before i saw ur answer. Honestly :)

3. eshroom macrumors 6502

You will need to enter vodafone's internet username and password. You can get this from customer services and is different depending on whether you have PAYG or contract. - This applies to any features which use the internet.

4. tinytom101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone - Thank you all for your help. I have spoken to Vodafone and they have said that they do not support the iPhone and so will not give me the internet settings. Will the settings be the same as my current Blackberry internet settings, if not, do you know where I can get them?

Thanks again.

Tinytom

5. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I think they are telling you none sense. I never owned Blackberry, so i am not sure if there is anything special about its setting, but if not then you should be able to use the same setting. Just google vodafone UK internet setting and you should find it.