Using iPhone 3G sim card in the iPhone 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lambo, Aug 16, 2008.

1. lambo macrumors regular

Is it possible?

I tried it, but it didn't work.

So then I unlocked my 2G iPhone, but it didn't work.

How?

2. lambo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I found out that it is not possible to use your iPhone 3G sim card on a 2G iPhone. I contacted AT&T about the issue and they told me so. But...

I found out that I wasn't actually unlocking the iPhone 2G, I was actually using the method that is supposed to jailbreak the iPhone 3G.

So I restored the iPhone to its original settings, unlocked the iPhone 2G for real this time, and it was a success.

As of now, well for me anyways, the iPhone 3G sim card can be used on an iPhone 2G, but only if the iPhone 2G is unlocked.

Just FYI, I'm a USA, AT&T customer.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

it will work as long as the iPhone 2.5G is unlocked and hacktivated

4. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Incorrect. I'm posting right now from my 1st gen iPhone with my 3G's sim card (no unlock, no jailbreak). My 3G took a **** on me tonight, so I had to reactivate my old phone until tomorrow when I go to the Apple store to exchange it. It's working flawlessly.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

+1 - It works seamlessly.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Question for you two. My roommates 3G died today and he wants to use his original iPhone until his Genius Bar appt Tuesday.

He put his iPhone 3G SIM into the original iPhone. When he turned the original iPhone on, it looked like a brand new iPhone, showing the icon to hook the iPhone to iTunes. That was weird. I thought you could continue to use the old iPhone as an iPod, but I guess when he activated his 3G iPhone, it totally deactivated his old iPhone?!

Anyhow, when he plugged his old iPhone (with the 3G SIM) into iTunes, iTunes asked him for his zip code and the last 4 of his SSN and then asked him to pick his SMS plan.

Did you guys have to do that too? It basically looked like it was going to change his AT&T bill back to the old iPhone rates. I was expecting that when he put his 3G SIM into his old iPhone, everything would just work without having to mess with billing. :confused:

Thanks for any help! :)

7. aneftp macrumors 601

Yes, just reactivate the iphone (first gen) with the current active ATT Sim you have for your iphone 3g. You even get to "downgrade" to the $20 old iphone data plan (which includes 200 SMS). and yes you still get 3g data on any ATT phone including the iphone 3g. Don't ask if this is legal or illegal. It's ATT's fault that your iphone (first gen) isn't working.

8. fleali88 macrumors regular

well i just activated and unlocked an iphone 2g and tried to put my iphone 3g sim in it and it just has 1 small bar and doesnt work any ideas?