Using iPhone 4 from eBay as a temporary replacement, but have no clue how to activate

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mjooyeon, Jul 14, 2014.

1. mjooyeon macrumors newbie

Since I broke my old android, I bought a used Verizon iPhone 4 from eBay as a temporary replacement until my family contract ends, hoping to simply change the SD card from my old android and insert it into the new iPhone 4. However, I realized it doesn't have a slot for SD cards...what can I do? I would prefer to keep my usual number...would I have to take it to a Verizon store and get it activated there?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

SD card or SIM card? What provider/carrier do you currently have?

The Verizon (CDMA) iPhone 4 doesn't support SIM cards or SD cards and only works on Verizon essentially.

3. mjooyeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I meant SIM card all through out. I currently have Verizon.

So does that mean I have to actually go to a store to make the phone work? Or do I have to take on a new phone number?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you currently have Verizon then the SIM card you have is really only for LTE service. The iPhone 4 isn't capable of LTE anyway, so the SIM card isn't needed. What you would need is to activate the phone on your line in place of the one you had. You should be able to do it from the "new" phone itself by dialing *228 and following instructions there (or by doing it online using the My Verizon web site, or by calling Verizon or stopping by one of their corporate stores).

5. mjooyeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thank you so much! I'll be sure to try your instructions! :D

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

As long as the phone you bought has a clean esn. Correct?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the iPhone 4 you bought has a SIM card slot, then it will never work on Verizon's network. It's GSM only and can only be used on AT&T, T-Mobile, and other GSM networks.

8. mjooyeon thread starter macrumors newbie

That is correct :)

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be good then.
    Did u get it activated by dialing that 228 number?

10. mjooyeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the *228 worked perfectly fine, and my phone has activated # thanks so much to everyone!