Using iPhone 4s as the primary camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by i-sidd, Oct 13, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Does anyone use it? Well I mean after they get it of course, I am thinking of doing it. I have a m4/3 and was thinking of selling it and getting a Sony nex but now I am thinking that I will just use the 4s.

2. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I'm going to use it, but not as a primary. I'm coming from an iphone 3G, so the 4s' camera will be a great point and shoot on the go. :)

3. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I can't see it replacing my D90.
    But I do have to say, though, that the advantage the iPhone's camera has is that I always have it with me.
    My iPhone 4 camera is actually half decent, I've used it quite a bit.
    And the camera on the 4S, which I should be receiving next week, looks to be even better.

4. carlgo macrumors 68000

No camera = no photo so when you are out taking a walk and a UFO lands in front of you it doesn't matter that you have a digital Hasselblad at home.

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The best camera is the one you have with you.

The sample shots do look pretty nice - for a camera the size of a pencil eraser.

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

wouldn't be my primary camera.
    it would be a handy P&S camera and video camera.

If I am going to a garden/conservatory and want good photos I will take my DLSR. if I am running around chasing my son and don't feel the need for superb photos, I'd take it. it is a great camera but, if like iP4, might have not so great dusk/night photos.
    When I am cooking it is easier to grab the phone than the bigger camera. I can easily see the screen and shoot one handed.

primary P&S style camera for sure.

7. Razeus macrumors 601

It'll be mine primary camera. I'm done with p&s and their blatant inconvenience and refusal to adapt to new technologies.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What new technologies are they refusing to adapt to?

9. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

probably apps and ability to upload to flickr/twitter/facebook/etc.

P&S and other regular cameras are generally lacking the social mobility of the phones in today's smartphones. They are generally closed systems that act as camera only, not allowing much in post processing or the like. if camera manufacturers thought like smartphone makers they'd have a better chance at keeping customers buying P&S's but have not gone that route.

10. stevendphoto macrumors member

If you are abducted, make sure you get photos inside the ship...

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

There are cameras than can do those things over WIFI.

But I think the $100-200 camera range is a losing battle. Phones are getting pretty capable for snap shots and are far ahead of even the smallest cameras in terms of being always in your pocket. For people concerned about getting significantly higher quality images, a range of cameras will still be there. The fact is even the cheapest point and shoots are better than iPhones in terms of image quality. Something like a Canon S100 is a completely different category than the iPhone. For people satisfied with iPhone images, they've got a perfect tool.

12. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

yes, only a few... but almost every smartphone can.
    and people are very social with photos these days posting to this or that before heading back home. and those few cameras that do that are somewhat expensive and many already have a smartphone anyway.

13. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I'm not so sure it's the camera manufacturer unwilling to adapt to new technology, but that implementing social media is just too expensive.

To get any sort of real useful "social media integration", the camera would need a 3G/data connection, since that's the big advantage the smartphone has. And I'm pretty sure the camera manufacturers (correctly) conclude that consumers will not pay more money for a P&S with integrated 3G and another monthly data plan charge.

FWIW I don't upload anything to "social media", and it's not only because I don't have a smartphone (which I don't own because where I live ~$100/month for a phone with a data plan is ludicrous).

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

If you are concerned about your camera uploading pictures on twitter, then a smart phone is probably the right camera for you

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

It' could definitely be a replacement for a P&S. My SD780 IS is 12MP however it only takes 720p video. Whenever the iPhone 5 comes out, who knows, maybe it'll have a 10MP camera. If that's the case, then it'll definitely be time to ditch my Canon P&S.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Keep in mind, the sensor of an iPhone 4s is 4.54 x 3.39 mm^2 (5.67 mm diagonal), which is about one half the size of a basic compact camera, and about one third the size of a higher-end compact like the Canon S100 (not to mention about 1/20th the size of a low-end DSLR sensor).

The iPhone camera also has no zoom function (it has a preemptive crop function that mimics a zoom lens at the cost of image resolution).

17. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Thats the biggest issue for me. The lack of zoom means a constant rubbish wide angle view which distorts a lot. Some P&S cameras a slim enough to carry along side an iphone and give you that zoom advantage.

I have a G12 but rarely bring it with me as its quite big. An S95 would suit me better. When I only have the iPhone 4 with me and something in low light catches my eye, I hate the fact I got a really limited camera with me. Most point and shoots will do a much better job in low light than an iPhone (should the owner know how to use it).

18. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

What do people consider their main purpose (over 50%) for photography, be it daily/weekend/vacations
    (I consider this a non-pro thread, so left off sales/$$'s)
    -social sharing of images
    vs
    -artistic/hobby images

Answer to that will define primary usage.
    >my opinion, since I consider iP4/etc not truly capable of artistic/hobby images, rather "pedestrian" shots for social sharing

For me, while I love my DSLR/lens/gear, my iPhone4 is with me 24/7.

IF I want instant "social sharing" I'll capture with my iP4, and for artistic/hobby images I'll use the DSLR and need to plan trips/events with that mindset.
    I've done both at same event, capture a quick soccer image of my kid(s) for grandma to see on facebook, and shot the game with my T1i/70-200 f2.8 for decent action shots.

Another way of looking at it: My DSLR/gear/backpack is at home, unless I specifically bring it. Now, if I "always" had my gear with me, at least in the car, then I'd flip and say DLSR was my primary camera because it was readily available.

No more P&S, heck we have a decent Canon P&S I gave to my 7 year old as "his camera" since I've not used it since Feb-2011.

So, for our family:
    -iP4 is primary camera
    -DSLR is secondary camera for specific usage

even when we get the iP5/iP6/etc, will "always" have DSLR for specialized artisitc/hobby usage

19. Razeus macrumors 601

20. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

The iphone 4(s) is good for snapshots but you can do more with many point and shoots, even if its just dialing in a mode to shoot fireworks or sports. They behave better, meaning its sensible to still carry one around.

21. Razeus macrumors 601

Not for me

22. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Good for you as you wont be bothered about missing those pictures of the fireworks or not being close enough to capture a shot of a distant object.

23. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I would be bothered by missing a shot like that, but not enough to warrant bringing a point and shoot everywhere. My 4S is good enough to capture anything that I need to get while out and about, but if I think I am going to get a photo opportunity, I'd throw my dSLR bag in the car. There are some times when a real point and shoot would be nice, but not enough for me to spend $300 additional dollars, then bring it everywhere.

24. Razeus macrumors 601

That's what I'm Nikon is for....

I know what kind of shots I can get With the iPhone...

25. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

There is an in between though and the iPhone isn't yet in that space. I guess we'll agree to disagree.