Carrier Using iPhone 5 sim in 6, or the one that shipped with the 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aPple nErd, Sep 19, 2014.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

does it matter witch one i use? i just popped in my old sim from my 5 and booted my 6 up because it was easier than activating a new sim. does it matter what i use?

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Nope doesn't matter. Use the one from your 5 if you didn't transfer service as part of the upgrade. You'll avoid an additional fee for moving service to another SIM.

3. Hatshepsut macrumors newbie

So you were able to boot up, use LTE, make calls etc. with no issues? I want to do the same thing, 'cause I'm doing an upgrade swap with another line on my account, and don't want to activate my ip6 on the line it comes with.

4. TexasOil macrumors newbie

I'm in the same exact boat. Would really like to avoid dealing with AT&T today if possible.

5. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

well, it seems to be working fine. and yes. i just popped in my old sim, and booted. a second later it had 3 bars and lte on verizon.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Verizon doesn't use SIMs, so it wouldn't matter. The SIM in a Verizon phone is for when you're using it on a different network, i.e. traveling abroad.

7. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Here's an interesting one... bought the unlocked TMO version and when I popped in the sim, it sent me a text from AT&T that says "A new sim is required to use all of the services of your new phone. Please visit an AT&T store"

I called tech support and the guy had never heard of that before.

8. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Verizon does use SIM cards. LTE requires a SIM.

9. planetgirth macrumors member

I swapped my Sim (with att) and just got a text saying that my new device needs a new SIM.

10. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

That was when they were only using 3G phones. The LTE SIM is now all the info on your phone like most other carriers. I bought my 6 Plus on a personal account using an upgrade. I took my business SIM out and put it in the 6 Plus and it immediately recognized my business number.

I even called VZW to add my serial number and they said it was transmitted already over the air.

11. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I stand corrected.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Did you buy the new iphone 6 using an upgrade?

I popped in my old sim, turned on the phone, and it asks my to activate it on the line I used to upgrade it.

I don't want to do that because I think it will kill the unlimited data on that line.

13. sincere11105 macrumors 6502