Using IPhone Abroad Confusion!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daveym, Mar 23, 2008.

1. daveym macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have just bought a brand spanking new 16Gb IPHONE afrom 02. Looks amazin, just trying not to think about the money.

I am not particularly technologically minded and am slightly confused about data roaming as well all this Edge, Cloud, Wifi stuff!!! I mean what does it all mean. All i know is what the internet is. I have had a look at other threads but still not sure.

Basically im on the 35 quid o2 tariff with free internet access except data roaming i guess.

First question. Can anyone explain (in laymans terms) what all the diffeent internet connections (i.e. wifi, edge ...etc) mean?

Second question: I am not a huge internet user, i will probably just use it to check my yahoo mail every hour (on automatic check) and facebook, bbc news now again. This is free, yeh?!

Third Question: I am going to Germany in a month and was wondering what will happen. I will still be able to use the phone - text functions free yeh?? Or for a small added charge? What about if i wanna text one of my friends who has gone with me (i.e. so they r in germany too). Will this be part of my inclusive texts or not. Can i check the inernet when im there for free? Or is this 'data roaming'. In other words when i go there, what can i do and not do ( and i dont want to be paying much more than 35 quid at the end of the month)

Thanks very much! Hope its not too much of a nooby question

Dave

2. daveym thread starter macrumors newbie

oh and when i go into Safari, what network do i connect with?

3. daveym thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh come on, 100 views and nobody wants to explain it for me...:(

And before some smart arse says ; you should check wikipedia or something. ..... i have and it didnt make any sense.. Come on someone must be able to explain them!

thanking you

dave

4. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

wifi is wireless internet

edge is using celluar networks

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Second question: I am not a huge internet user, i will probably just use it to check my yahoo mail every hour (on automatic check) and facebook, bbc news now again. This is free, yeh?!

Yes this is free, in the UK.

Third Question: I am going to Germany in a month and was wondering what will happen. I will still be able to use the phone - text functions free yeh?? Or for a small added charge?

You'll pay extra, it ended up costing me about 20p a text or something while I was in France/Switzerland.

What about if i wanna text one of my friends who has gone with me (i.e. so they r in germany too). Will this be part of my inclusive texts or not.

You both will pay an extra charge.

Can i check the inernet when im there for free? Or is this 'data roaming'.

No idea.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

It will cost you a hell of a lot to use the internet on your iPhone whilst abroad, this is indeed "data roaming".

7. Mikersson macrumors newbie

Mikersson