Using iPhone abroad info - UK O2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjppp6, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jjppp6 macrumors member

Hi,

I am going abroad tomorrow and was wondering what I need to do to enable I don't get charged for data usage.

Do I just turn off 3G and turn data roaming off? Apps like weather wont charge me will it?

And also my push emails with MobileMe wont charge me will it? Will turning data roaming off stop using data all together?

Cheers.

2. Untitled00 macrumors newbie

If you make sure data roaming is off then you'll be fine - provided your not going to the Isle Of Man.

The weather app has to connect to work but if you've got data roaming off then it wont work.

3. punitnaker macrumors regular

Yes its true, if you leave data roaming on then it will charge you £7.50 per megabyte that you download. That includes the use of all apps, eg Maps, Email, (obviously) Safari, Weather etc.

But some of these apps such as Maps and Weather can be useful when on holiday. If you're not going for long, and you use it sparingly then it can be worth it as they do not require a lot of data.

I went on a short trip (3 days) to France and it cost me a few quid to use it during that time. Switch off push and fetch. Don't use safari and dont constantly check any data using apps.

If you dont want to take the risk, switch off data roaming.

Enjoy your trip :D

4. jjppp6 thread starter macrumors member

So turning data roaming off will stop any apps from using data? And therefore not charge me right?

5. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Correct, although if theirs wifi around then it can still use that, while avoiding using any data through O2. Which is usually free.

6. Untitled00 macrumors newbie

Wifi is trickier - because the actual company who provide the wifi are the ones who set the charges.

Make sure it's free for roaming phones before using. As some hotels etc free wifi is only for a network on that country. It can charge for roaming.

Also although the cloud is europe wide - you only get it free in the UK as part of your plan.

i'd advise not using it and going to an internet cafe if you need to check anything. Alternatively take one of the data roaming packages (eg £50 for 50MB) if you really need to use your email facility.