iPad mini Using iPhone as hotspot for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chevelle, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Chevelle macrumors regular

I got an iPhone 6 yesterday. Coming from an S5. I really liked the s5's size and display but I have Apple devices for everything and wanted better syncing between my devices.

I'm noticing right away that I miss the screen real estate of the s5 so I was considering getting the 6 plus. But my wife was like just get an iPad mini and use the iPhone as a hotspot for when you want data. How well does this work? I have an unlimited data plan with ATT that I don't want to lose. I also don't want to get a separate data plan for an iPad. For the amount of data that I use every month it would be very expensive. I don't have access to wifi at work so I use a lot of data. Would my plan of using an iPhone as a hotspot for an iPad mini be a good idea?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AT&T doesn't allow mobile hotspot to be used on unlimited plans. (At least they didn't a year ago). There are jailbreak apps that can get around it, but on standard iOS, it's turned off.

3. Chevelle thread starter macrumors regular

Of course. Why would they let you use something that you pay for. Doesn't make any sense lol. I knew it would be too easy of a solution. Well that sucks. Guess I'll either have to get a 6+, or an iPad mini and only use it when I have wifi and compromise with the smaller screen of the 6.

4. Badrottie, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You are super correct. To use a hotspot he would have to give up unlimited data plan..How clever AT&T is! :apple:

Anyway when AT&T texted me for iPhone upgrade so I went there and uppgraded to iPhone 6 Plus and they gave me free tablet with mobile hotspot 6GB data for 40 bucks so I decided to test with Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 tablet. Mobile hotspot is nice with my iPad Air.

5. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Thats what is wrong with retarded yunk companies.

I'm using unlimited dataplan for my iPhone and I have absolutely no problems to use my phone as a hotspot for my iPad or Mac. I guess you should move to nothern Europe for better service.

6. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Or you can get iPad mini cellular, and free 200 mb a month from tmobile.

Or move to tmoobile and use your phone as hot spot.

7. Vaga8ond, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

Vaga8ond macrumors member

Vaga8ond

I thought it was $10 per month to turn on the Hotspot feature?

EDIT:
    Spoke with a representative:

AT&T: Hello! How may I help you today?
    Me: Can I use my phone as a hotspot and if so is there an upcharge?
    AT&T: Please wait while a secure chat connection is established.
    Lukeisha M: a
    Lukeisha M: Allow me a moment to check for you
    Me: Okay
    Lukeisha M: I apologize, I am still looking for the correct answer for you. Thank you very much for your patience!
    Me: Okay
    Lukeisha M: Tethering and mobile hotspot use is allowed for up to 5 simultaneous devices.
    Me: And is there an upcharge or fee for that service?
    Lukeisha M: Not with our mobile share value plans
    Me: Thanks.

Hope that helps. I was wondering the same thing.

8. r8ders2k macrumors member

AT&T's Mobile Share Plans, but not unlimited...

The only other option would be for you to pick up an unlimited plan iPad off eBay.