Using iPhone as iPad WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vbmike73, Aug 2, 2011.

1. vbmike73 macrumors regular

I appologise if this is somewhere else, but I searched and I guess I'm not sure of what exactly to search for. Not sure if it's tethering, or wifi hotspot or what. I'm just thinking of getting an iPad, and I have an AT&T iPhone. Is there a way to get the WiFi iPad version and use the data plan from the iphone, so I don't have to pay more for a 3G iPad plsu another 3G package? I wouldn't be using it much, so I don't want to pay a ton. I saw that Verizon has a plan for their iPhones that says "hotspot", but not sure if that's what this is.

2. Saberon, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Saberon macrumors 6502a

Tethering via WiFi is often called "Wifi Hotspot" but its still just regular old tethering.

What iPhone model do you have? Do you subscribe to the AT&T tether plan? If you are on unlimited data you can't tether...without a JB.

Example: I'm in Canada with Rogers with a 6GB data plan that includes tethering. On my iPhone 4 I have 2 options. Bluetooth or WiFi tether to my iPad. That way it uses my iPhone 4's data. If you have a 3GS you can only bluetooth tether to your iPad, which is essentially the exact same thing.

3. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

Currently have a 3GS. So I can't even BlueTooth it with unlimited data plan?

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

No, I believe you MUST have the 2/2GB+Tethering Addon instead of unlimited data.

5. eye4ni macrumors member

I just recently bought an iPad 2 wifi model, and have been tethering (wifi) with my jailbroken iPhone 4 with unlimited data plan. I don't use the tethering a lot, as I usually have wifi where I am at, but it is great to have it when you need it. I use an app called TetherMe from Cydia, which is really cheap compared to PDANet or MyWi (I think I paid less than $5), and it works great, also supports bluetooth tethering. You will have to check and see if it is compatible with the 3GS though.

Obviously, all of this requires you to jailbreak your phone, though.

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

how often do you need connectivity on the iPad? i think it's nice to have the option of a stand alone connection. 2GB is only $5 more than tethering per month and if you can stay under 250MB than it's less. sure you have to pay the premium for a 3G iPad, but you will get a portion of that back when you resell. just my $.02.

7. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Not wanting to JB my phone though, so looking for other options. I guess AT&T has 4GB with tethering for $45 which is only $15 more than the unlimited plan I'm on now. And I'm just under 1GB every month anyways, so no really benefitting from the unlimited plan. If I went the 3G model route, I'd be paying over $100 more for the iPad, and then $25 a month for the separate 3G plan. I'll always have my iPhone with me anyways. So this means I could be driving down the road with my iPhone, and I could get the same data capabilities on the iPad by creating the Wi-Fi hotspot, correct? Well, assuming I upggrade my iPhone since the Wi-Fi hotspot only works with iPhone 4 and above right now (Waiting for next model)

8. ifman macrumors member

ifman

Yes, that is what I did. I also reviewed my phone minutes plan and was able to drop down to the 550 minute family share plan and that saved me an extra $10 a month , so the 4g tethering plan was only an extra $5 over my old plan - unlimited plan and a higher minutes plan.....neither of which I was using. I never went over 1g per month when I had unlimited.

Be aware that tethering will drain the iPhone battery quicker. Car charger or power cord it when you can. You can also drop that tethering option when you aren't using it. It isn't a 2 yr contract thing, but you can't go back to unlimited data. You will be at 2 gb, instead of 4gb, if you drop the tether.