Using iphone as ipod only

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kevingaffney, Mar 20, 2009.

1. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

If new iphone harsware is released later this year as expected, I intend to upgrade. My question is this, I would like to give my old 3g phone to my daughter to use as an ipod only for music and games etc. Is this possible?

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

I'm assuming your phone is already activated with your carrier. Then, all you have to do is take out the sim card. Job done. No jailbreak.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

5. brax.j macrumors regular

You would should be able to sell your iPhone 3g for more than the cost of a new iPod touch unless your daughter really wants to walk around with a bulky iPod with a camera.

6. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

No need to jailbreak. You can leave the old sim in as well (although when restarting your iPhone it will try to activate, no prob, just dismiss)

You can load all your apps on it as well without buying them again as long as you sync with the same computer.

7. mbdobbs macrumors newbie

Hi, I just joined this forum to try to work with this exact problem. My stepsister gave me her old iPhone to use because I lost my iPod. Unlike when I bought new iPOds in the past, it doesn't just sync up with my itunes. How do I make this my main iPod and get my music onto it?

Alll information and help is greatly appreciated. I miss my music!!

Email me

Melissa

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

@mbdobbs: You should delete your email address. Otherwise you might get spambots sending you crap.

Once you have the phone activated, just sign into your iTunes account, plug in your iPhone, click on the iPhone icon on the left, pick your syncing options in the middle pane, and sync.

9. mbdobbs macrumors newbie

I tried that. It says it is synched, but nothing's on it. All the music's in the Library still. It's very wierd.