Using iPhone as iPod w/car stereo & TV

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badlydrawnboy, Dec 30, 2007.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I have some devices to connect my 5th Gen iPod to my car stereo (Monster cable with auxillary input and charger) and my TV to watch video (1/8" to RCA).

Will these same cables work with the iPhone? If not, what do I need to connect it to my car stereo with aux input and my TV to watch video?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I believe the iPhone has to be in its dock for it to work. (Then you plug it into the line out)

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, that kinda stinks. I'm surprised someone doesn't make a simple 1/8" to RCA cord that works for the iPhone, and or a 1/8" to 1/8" for auxillary stero input.

4. dubis07 macrumors member

Call me crazy, but I think they do. This is just the cord that goes from the iPhone headphone jack into an auxiliary port, right? Type in "iPhone" and "car" on ebay then go through the accessories. I think there are loads of them for around 3-5 bucks shipped.

5. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

just get a 3.5 mm jack to 3.5 mm jack and use the griffin socket adapter for the iphone

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Audio shouldn't be a problem - the iPhone works with any dock style audio adapter I've tried (it gives you a warning asking if you want to turn on aircraft mode to minimize interference but just ignore that), or through the headphone out socket. For video you'll need the new Apple video out cable

7. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool. Question: would the Monster car charger I have work too? It plugs into the dock connector of my 5G iPod. Is that connector the same in the iPhone?

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The dock connector is the same so it should work - I charge my iPhone on my Harman Kardon car adapter and it works fine

9. rayward macrumors 68000

I find that everything that connected/charged my iPod, and even one thing that didn't, will charge/connect my iPhone. The bonus was my air/car power adapter that was not an official iPod product, so it would power but not charge my iPod. Bizarrely, it charges my iPhone (which is awesome because it's great to have a full charge after a long-distance flight).

10. fyaman macrumors newbie

O.K. What happens when the phone rings?

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Oh boy forget all that nonsense. I got myself a new head unit for my car which cost about £100 and now I can control the iPhone using the stereo itself. No fumbling about with cables either, I just dock the iPhone in my glove compartment and select the playlist I want from the menu on the stereo and go.

12. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It rings REALLY loud through your car stereo speakers.

As far as controls, I have an iPod adaptor kit in my car for my iPhone, as well as a Pro-Clips swivel mount in my dash at shifter level so I can control the music from the iPhone very easily while driving. I prefer the iPhone controls to stereo controls, especially the coverflow mode.

13. fyaman macrumors newbie

What I was really asking is when the phone rings how do you answer it without disconnecting it from the system? I understand you can hear through the speakers but how do you talk? Do you need to put the phone on speaker or is there a way to connect a microphone to your stereo system? Also do you know if a bluetooth headset will work with the IPhone when it is connected via the dock?