Using iPhone as iTouch

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HackMaster, Nov 6, 2008.

1. HackMaster macrumors newbie

A buddy of mine recently got a 16GB iPhone 1st Gen via ATT and wants to use it as just an iTouch. I have already jailbroken and activated it so it works, but I have advised him to leave it in airplane mode to keep the cell radio off. He would like to be able to have the icons that are only on the iTouch, such as Music and Videos.

Also, does anyone have any other recommendations for a iPhone to iTouch Conversion? For example, trimming the root partition down by removing cell-dependent apps? He will probably use it as a cell phone eventually, but not for at least a year (he is on Verizon).
    Thanks for the help!

2. Chronimac macrumors member

i wonder what would happen if you ran the actual ipod touch firmware on the iphone. probably death. sorry. im no help.

3. HackMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about that, but the cell radio and all that other stuff must be handled somehow, including all the extra stuff, like Bt, speaker, volume controls...
    Thanks for reading though!

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Why not just unlock the iPhone and use it on his own service? Unless he already has a 3G or something?

5. HackMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

As stated above, he has Verizon as his cell provider. His parents still pay for it and who can deny free cell service. Verizon uses CDMA as they service technology (EV-DO for data) and is not compatible at all with the iPhone. (The iPhone uses GSM). Verizon does not even use a SIM card.

This forces him to use his Verizon-provided cell phone alongside his iPhone. He does intend to switch to a GSM-compatible cellular provider (probably T-Mobile, like myself) when is Verizon contract ends, but that is not for at least a year.

Plus, a 16GB iPhone 1st Gen is better than a 16GB iTouch 1st Gen. Cheaper (for him, through me) and futureproofing!