Using iPhone as Microphone and Speaker

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by IlliniBiker, Aug 26, 2010.

1. IlliniBiker macrumors newbie

With the release of Gmail Call today, I was wondering if there is any way to use your iPhone as a microphone and earpiece like you would usually, but have the call routed through your computer? Right now I get horrible reception in my apartment, and was ecstatic with google's release today. I can use my computer to make calls, but thought it would be one step better to be able to use my iPhone like normal, but use it through my computer and Gmail Call. Does anyone know of an app or trick in which I could do this?

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't think so yet...

do you live in the US? So far the only way I think is going to the Google voice page on non-jb iphone (I don't know if it's open yet outside of the US, but I think it still uses your cell mins, so I'm waiting also to see how they can update it to just use wifi or 3g data w/out our mins), the chat on gmail uses the GV phone service (they just integrated GV into gmail chat).... I think they will integrate it into the mobile version of gmail in the near future so every google program can work from gmail and work on wifi/3g data (centralization)...

if you are JB you download the unofficial version of Google Voice and use that too w/ your mins...

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

What if you placed the Google Voice number that it routes out to as one of your favorite 5 numbers?

Would that work then as going unlimited in a way?

I just found that google voice feature on GMAIL tried it with a friend works wicked.

Now if only able to do that on a cell phone using 3G or Wifi would be amazing!