Using iPhone as satnav - how do you not miss texts etc?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mildredop, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I often drive long distance and have my phone in a holder on the dashboard with Google Maps as my satnav. I recently tried the iPhone and found this to be a very frustrating situation.

Calls etc. would obviously come through on my vehicle's bluetooth, but texts/emails etc. would appear as a banner and then a few seconds later, disappear. With music and vehicle noise, I'd miss the 'ping' of the phone, and as I wasn't looking at the phone all the time, I'd miss the banner.

The only way to check is to leave the satnav, go to the home screen and see where there are new notifications, or periodically swipe down - all illegal in the UK whilst driving.

So, how do you keep up-to-date with notifications when driving?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I use Apple maps or navigon and neither stop the notification, that said I always play my music from my phone so the music level drops for the notification. Then I just say 'hey Siri read me that message etc'

3. mattDC5R macrumors member

You could change the notification type to an alert instead of a banner. You have to give an action to it before it will clear from the screen so you would see it when you next look at the screen and open the message.

4. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

I personally prefer bigger screens for my GPS than the iPhone sizes available. Actually got a dedicated 1st gen iPad Mini for the job now, running Navigon, TomTom and a few other similar apps.

5. abta1 macrumors 6502

The easiest solution would be to do what a previous poster said and that is to change the notification of your text messages to a popup rather than the banner. Then it will show in the centre of the screen and you will need to dismiss it.

6. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Can I set rules for these actions? So that it only does this whilst I'm driving?

7. mattDC5R macrumors member

Not that i am aware of, I've never needed to find such either, perhaps someone else may have an idea on that.

Settings -> Notifications -> Messages is where you'll find the options. Look for other apps in the same menu to change their settings to suit as well, anything that does work with notifications should be able to changed accordingly.

8. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Should you be worrying about texts while driving?

Wait till you stop and check your phone.

9. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

That wouldn't be a solution for me. The pop-ups are quite infuriating and, even with them all turned off, I was still getting some (like 'Battery at 20%', 'Battery at 10%', 'Wi-Fi Networks available' etc. The most annoying is the volume - when I'm watching a video and turn up the volume, why does the iPhone feel the need to obscure most of the screen for several seconds to tell me I turned up the volume? I know I turned it up. I pressed the button).

10. mattDC5R macrumors member

Fair enough, i find them annoying too. Hopefully you'll find something that suits.

BTW, the Wifi Network available pop up can be stopped by turning off the "ask to join known networks" in wifi settings.

11. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Get an iPod touch and use it exclusively for GPS offline maps. You wont have to worry about missing emails. Your phone can be a backup for searching live info.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There's no GPS chip in an iPod touch...

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

THey're illegal because in general, interacting with text messages while driving is illegal in the UK (and quite a few other places, too). As long as this is the case, it's unlikely that any platform will build-in a way to make this easy for you.

14. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Aaaah.....damn greedy Apple for making my idea useless....:mad:

J/K. Totally forgot about that. Thanks for correcting.

15. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Not a totally useless idea... an iPod with an external GPS receiver will work just fine... I use a device from BadElf with my 3rd Gen iPad with the Navigon app... great solution.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

A rather moot criticism as surely you couldn't read or respond to any messages or notifications whilst driving anyway? Also, if you have music on or can't hear for the road noise, how would you notice if you received an SMS even if not using your phone for GPS?

I have TomTom & Navigon on my phone and switch which one I use at random. If I'm expecting an important text then I stop and read it.

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Just tell the people who may have to reach you to call if it's urgent. Then you can answer the call using a hands free device without risk to yourself and others.

Texting shouldn't be used for urgent matters. It's too easy to miss a text message.

18. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm used to seeing any notifications at the top of the screen. With the iPhone, it seems to need to actively go looking for any missed calls/texts/emails either by going to the home screen and checking all your app icons, or scrolling down and then pressing 'Notifications'.

This is an issue when using the app switcher. Doing so means you never go back to the homescreen. Also, the fingerprint sensor was so good, the phone would be unlocked and displaying my last used app before I had got it out of my pocket.

In the two weeks I had it, I missed several notifications and actually lost some work as a result.

Attached Files:

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Within the TomTom app there is a setting under 'advanced' which allows the status bar to sit at the top of the screen. I still get notifications. I believe that I still get them within Navigon too, but would have to check that. Either way, if you have background app refresh allowed for your satnav it will permit you to go & do your stuff and then hop back to the app with no loss of positioning on the map etc.

As for accessing notifications, I don't use TouchID and don't have notifications set to display on my lock screen. I leave my phone lying around and don't want people to see calendar alerts, reminders and SMS previews etc. When I unlock my phone I can see from the badges on my most used/messaging apps if I have any notifications, and I'm also in the habit of pulling my NC down to check. It's all a matter of tailoring the phone alerts and notifications to your own preferences.

20. techspin macrumors 6502a

Position your phone so it's right below your field of vision while you drive. Obviously don't text and drive. Or switch to another phone if this one interferes with your work.

21. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Something to consider... You could get a smart watch of some sort, and get your text notifications on that. I can understand your frustration, though. I do miss the LED notifications on my Samsung S5.

Another option is turning on the LED flash for notifications, in the Accessibility options. Although having the flash go off while you're driving might be a bit of an issue.

C

22. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Perhaps he just wants to see notification that there WAS a text, so he knows to pull over and check the actual message.

C

23. HEK, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

How about just driving, leave playing with phone till stopped. Use at sat nav ok, but leave the note reading, texting, messaging, phone calls and tweets for some other time. Mark my word it won't be long before it will be made mandatory that if motion sensor shows car in motion all other functions are blocked.

Recent studies are showing that using voice is even more distracting to driver than looking at phone. People get too involved in what they are saying. Brain cannot do two things at once, no matter how much you think you can multitask. You still only can do one thing at a time. Drive, don't play with phone. Life you save me be mine.

After my second ticket and one accident I turn my phone off when I drive. Do the old fashioned way, Just enjoy my coffee and read the paper now as I motor down the highway.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I haven't seen this mentioned (pardon of tnwas) but you can just do the drop down notifications, right? No need to exit the navigation.

But... On long drives.... Better to not be checking texts while driving at all, right?

25. Conan86 macrumors 6502

They wouldn't be switching off the functions anytime in the future because they wouldn't be able to determine who is the driver and who are passengers. Erm, I'd strongly advise against reading the papers behind the wheel.. you really shouldn't be doing anything other than concentrating on the road, and maybe singing a little..