Using iPhone Backup Extractor

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jpetticrew, Dec 6, 2010.

1. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

I need to restore my iPhone (and set up as new phone) but I don't want to lose my Angry Birds scores. :) Could someone tell me how to use iPhone Backup Extractor to restore my game saves after a restore?

Also, I can't use AppBackup as I won't be rejailbreaking.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't think game saved are accessible on the "userland" which mean that you may be able to back them up, but without re-jailbreaking you will not be able to restore them without root access. I could be mistaken, the file structured change on 4.x iOS.

3. jpetticrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Oh ok, well just in case it is, what are the files I need to replace?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You are correct.

OP, if you re-jailbreaked, you could use Chronus to get your game save data back (the easiest way). Otherwise, you need to restore from a backup, and since you don’t want to do that, you’re SOL.

AFAIK, no one knows where the game save stuff is in the backup (at least I’ve never seen it using IBE).

5. jpetticrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Dangit. Ok, thanks guys!

6. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

wow!!! why have i never heard of this "Chronus" before??? this is genius! does it work like phgbackup, but with all saved app store games?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, it’s nothing like pkgbackup. Chronus saves to an aptly named directory TimeCapsule, which has all the information needed for whatever app you decide to send info from. So, later, if you need to restore the phone and have saved this TimeCapsule directory somewhere safe on your computer, then once you get the app back on the phone, you can use Chronus to recover all the data. Pkgbackup just saves a list of your programs, which you can then use to reinstall them, but you’ll have no app data.

Edit: This reminded me it was time to backup my TimeCapsule directory, since I hadn’t done it a several months.

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

3 years on i would guess they have it figured out….

9. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Drive by posters love reviving multiple years old threads only to never post again...until the next 3 year old thread they feel like reviving.

10. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

rofl

11. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

12. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Actually, Pkgbackup does save App Store app data. I've used it to restore app data after a 'restore' or if I just wanted to revert back to a saved point in a game. It saves it to the cloud, or to your device (which gets saved when you do a backup in iTunes).

Just a heads up. ;-)

Edit: Damn, I REALLY need to look at the post date when I comment... My bad!