Using iPhone during on a US Vacation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelvjsmyth, Dec 9, 2008.

1. michaelvjsmyth macrumors newbie

Hi MacForumers,

I will be in the United States (and Canada for a short time) for about a month and am wanting to use my unlocked Australian iPhone. I am going to use the phone primarily for data - Google Maps, Safari, etc. (won't Google Transit directions by valuable?) but may make a few phone calls. I obviously don't have a social security number, US residency, etc. so signing a contract is out of the question.

My first thought was AT&T - they've got the largest network and carry the iPhone in the States already. My understanding is AT&T just stopped offering an unlimited data plan for pre-paid customers. What a shame. Now they charge $5 for one MB or something. That'd obviously be a last resort. Is there any other AT&T package that I can go on that'll give me cheap/unlimited data that doesn't require me to sign a contract for 24 months/go about a credit check?

After AT&T's denial, I've had a look at T-Mobile. They've suggested a FlexPay Plan, which is a month-to-month service and does not require a credit check or contract. $30 for the basic voice service + $25 for unlimited data. This is going to work with my unlocked iPhone, right? So for $55 I've got unlimited data on my iPhone for the month - 3G when in 3G coverage otherwise EDGE. I'll be able to hop of my flight from JFK International Airport and pick up a T-Mobile SIM and pop it in my iPhone?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for pre-paid/no contract phone service that has a reasonable data scheme? T-Mobile is looking like the best option at the moment - hopefully the 3G coverage shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

if it's unlocked then it's should work with t-mobile, my friend has an iphone 2G that's on t-mobile.

3. efice32 macrumors 6502

4. greggov macrumors member

The iPhone 3G will work on T-Mobile's EDGE network - no 3G. They don't use the same bands as at&t. at&t uses the 850/1900 for 3G whereas T-Mo uses 1700/2100 (correct me if I'm wrong on the 2100 part, I know they definitely use the 1700).

So, voice and EDGE data on t-mo will work fine.

enjoy your stay :)

5. michaelvjsmyth thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a shame! I guess EDGE is better than nothing. So, is T-Mobile pretty much the go then for pre-paid/PAYG data at a reasonable price? Are there any other options? Is the ludicrous AT&T pricing 3G?

6. efice32 macrumors 6502

I'd probably call AT&T and ask them if they have any options for doing what you want to do. They might have some sort of option or plan that's not on their website.

7. michaelvjsmyth thread starter macrumors newbie

I've called AT&T probably half a dozen times. I was first told "Sure, Go Phone unlimited data, no problem!" then it became, "That's not available anymore" then, "Oh, Unlimited Messaging will do it for you" and finally "Sorry. There is no unlimited data on Go Phone"

8. greggov macrumors member

I believe at&t discontinued the unlimited prepaid data plans in November. I just did a quick browse thru of their site, and it seems that the only media net plans (data) are the 1MB for $4.99. On 3G with an iPhone, thats oh...about 45 seconds? Maybe?

I'd say T-Mo is the best bet, provided they have better plans (which really shouldn't be too hard. $4.99 for 1MB? seriously?!) EDGE is better than no data at all, I suppose.

On the upside, since you can disable 3G, your battery will last a lot longer. Probably last through the day :D

9. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

If you get AT&T, you'll get 3G... but AT&T is your only option for 3G in the states since the other 3G networks over here (Sprint, Verizon & T-Mobile) are not compatible with iPhone. (T-Mobile only has 3G in like 5 cities anyway.... AT&T is all over.)