Using iPhone in a foreign country

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by linfeld, Feb 20, 2009.

1. linfeld macrumors newbie

My AT&T service includes unlimited 3G usage. When I bring my iPhone to a foreign country, is 3G service no longer free for me? I know about roaming charges for phone calls but what about internet service?

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

No you no longer get free data.

3. iFerd macrumors 6502a

And roaming data charges are very high. AT&T does have a service to lower those charge by paying something extra up front, but I think people still find data charges overseas to be prohibitively expensive.

If you want to avoid data charges when traveling internationally, go to Settings > General > Network and turn data roaming to off.

4. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

you are roaming, just turn off data roaming so you don't get charged. but you also won't have any data coverage.

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Much better option: unlock it and take your pick from the prepaid carriers in that country.

6. Gleteto macrumors newbie

Good news from iTunes Store - ViewEditor app

If your iPhone contract and rates plan does not offer you unlimited internet access or you are in a foreign country and data access can be very expensive!! New app ViewEditor - category Utilities (or visit www.vieweditor.com ) saves money, time and iPhone battery life when doing a Web search. ViewEditor uses standard Yahoo search engine results and displays on your iPhone the results including a relevant thumbnail pictures of web pages. It also will show accompanying textual links based on the search you made. ViewEditor enables you to independently set a maximum number of search results ( 2 -10 on the results page received on your iPhone ) and to determine the size of the thumbnails ( small, medium and large ) which are to be shown on your iPhone screen. With ViewEditor you can get a closer look at each web page by zooming in large thumbnail. So you don't need to download every web page.

ViewEditor enlarged thumbnail will offer a great insight into standard HTML version of the web page and enable you to quickly decide if it is worth downloading through Safari or not.

7. lrdiaz macrumors member

AT&T offers two Intl data packages for the iPhone, you can turn on/off as needed, just call CS and sign up. I've used it before, and do not think it's exorbitant prices $25 or $50.