Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
I'm going traveling to Australia and Canada starting next week for a year. I'll be getting SIM cards over there and was wondering if I can just put them in or if I'll have to change any region settings on my phone. I wanted to leave all the settings the same as they are now so I can just carry on using the UK App Store and my Apple Music account. But I wasn't sure if everything was set to UK if that would possibly affect anything with a carrier from another country.

Thoughts?

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I've never noticed any differences with App Store usage when using a foreign sim. I hazard to guess account location specificity is tied to your account (and iCloud log in) and not to your potentially shifting location. But I could be totally wrong as I have never paid much attention and things just seem to work as always usual.

You'll probably want to invest in a good vpn as there may be some local (uk) websites you might want to access.

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
You will not have any problems. I travel and have lots of different SIM cards in my phones. I often just pull out the old SIM card and put in the new SIM card and don't even restart the phone. At present I have a Thai SIM card but an Australian phone. All the iTunes accounts, email etc all remain the same. Depending on your email settings they should all work the same as well. I have a MS managed exchange, Gmail and iCloud accounts and they all work without touching any of the settings.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
You will not have any problems. I travel and have lots of different SIM cards in my phones. I often just pull out the old SIM card and put in the new SIM card and don't even restart the phone. At present I have a Thai SIM card but an Australian phone. All the iTunes accounts, email etc all remain the same. Depending on your email settings they should all work the same as well. I have a MS managed exchange, Gmail and iCloud accounts and they all work without touching any of the settings.

Not uncommon to have to restart. If you run your AIS balance to zero and top up for example, it's often necessary to restart your phone for the credit to register.

But what's easier than swapping sims (can never find a paper clip when I need one) is just to have multiple iPhone 6s. Different colors for different countries :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.