using iPhone in different countries (Europe)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tex-Twil, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I'm thinking about getting myself an iPhone (when the new one is released ;) ) but there is one thing that bothers me a lot: the service provider conditions. I live in Berlin and the only iPhone provider here is T-Mobile. If you sign up for a iPhone contract, you have to sign up for 24 months.

The thing is that I'm not German and I'm not sure how long I will stay in Germany. If I move to another country, the iPhone becomes useless because
    - it is SIMlocked to TMobile
    - if I use the german provider abroad it costs a lot (especially internet access)
    - I can't cancel the contract before 2 years

I know that this is more related to service providers than to the iPhone/Apple itself but I'd like to know if someone is in the same situation and what would be your advices.

Thanks ;)

Tex

2. philstone macrumors 6502

Personally I would probably buy one unlocked from Italy or similar... THat way you are free to use whatever SIM you liked!

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

But then the problem is that I cannot buy an iPhone service only. You have to buy an iPhone with your subscription. + subscription phones are usually much more expensive. Is it possible to unsimlock and iPhone ?

4. ervert macrumors newbie

I live in Germany (I'm not German) and just bought my unlocked 16GB iPhone from Italy, 569e. Just perfect, put my company SIM in and voila!

Not cheapest, but hey .. it works perfectly and I can use whatever SIM I like where ever I go.

Cheers,
    ervert

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Which kind of phone subscription do you have ? I think that an iPhone without a flatrate internet access is not really an iPhone.

6. ervert macrumors newbie

I'm lucky to have a company SIM with free calls & data for me.

Ervert

7. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok, so any contract with a flatrate 3G+ (HSDPA) will work ? >500€ is a bit expensive though :)

Would you mind telling me which provider do you have ?

How about unsimlocking an iPhone ? is that technically possible ?

8. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

So I was browsing the iPhone forum and I read about yellowSnow. Is this supposed to unsimlock an iPhone ?

Tex

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yes it DID work. However, with 2.2.1 firmware, the baseband has been updated so as yellowSn0w has been deactivated. Hopefully the dev team can reunlock it in 3.0 firmware.

10. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok. so if I had an iPhone I could use stick with the 2.2 firmware to unsimlock it.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

IF you can find an iPhone that still has 2.2 on it and has never had the baseband upgraded then essentially you can jailbreak it and download YellowSn0w to unlock it to be used on whatever carrier your deem proper.

12. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok, so it is not possible the downgrade a firmware version ? I think I should read this 1st :)

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Very possible to downgrade a firmware version. NOT possible to downgrade a base band.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I wanted to correct myself and post this guide:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=3583

Apparently there is a feasible way to downgrade a base band.

15. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

If you really want an iPhone that badly and don't want to sign a contract then buy an unlocked one. They can be found in many countries from Hong Kong to Australia.

If you know anyone in these countries have them check out prices for you, or check ebay.

Luckily for me my provider unlocked my iPhone for me. Free markets are the best.

16. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok thanks !

Well, if it is possible to unlock then, I'll opt for the "contract way" since it is cheaper and there is also guarantee.

Anyway, we'll see how the things are with the new iPhone.

Thanks,
    Tex

17. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

There is an official way to unlock as I have done it. It just depends if your carrier will unlock the phone for you. Best to ask before getting into a contract.

The mobile carriers here also sell unlocked iphones for prepay for a flatrate, not the cheapest, but easiest way to get one without any obligations.

18. NightGeometry macrumors regular

If you go the contract way do remember that you are signing a 24 month contract. If you leave Germany permanently then you'll still be stuck paying the monthly fee until end of contract. (Not sure what kind of early term deal T-Mob have in place over there, so you may be able to get out of it, I guess...)

19. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

If you buy an unlocked one, does visual voicemail work?

Actually thinking about it, does visual voicemail work in all countries anyway?

20. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yeah I know that sucks. I hope that if I move to another country, I can cancel my contract even when I'm in the "engagement" period. This is the case with my ISP. I'll ask T Mobile.

cheers,
    Tex