Using iPhone in Greece / Zante

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JayNovae, Jun 8, 2011.

1. JayNovae macrumors newbie

Hey there, :)

I'm going on holiday to Zante in Greece in July, I was just wondering a few things:

• To stop me getting extra charges do I only need to turn off 3G, Cellular Data + Data roaming or is there more I need to tweak?

• If I were to turn on Cellular Data or 3G how much would it cost when using for a few minutes or an hour etc & is it a lot?

• Will it cost to use Wifi there?

• Lastly... I'm on £35 a month iPhone 4, is there like a bolt on you can buy for a month or something similar that will allow you to use 3G over there with that set charge?

Thanks if anyone can answer any of my questions :) x

2. JayNovae thread starter macrumors newbie

3. m25man macrumors newbie

I can answer them all as I have just returned from Rhodes..

4. m25man macrumors newbie

Firstly,

Data Roaming is expensive in Greece where are you coming from who is your home network operator?

Is your iPhone unlocked to all networks?

Vodafone and WIND have packages that might be of use. Both have PAYG tariffs.

5. billy123 macrumors newbie

? Come on please.

Why would you get charged for wifi?

Ring your network! they will tell you ALL this!

6. m25man macrumors newbie

The official Wind.gr Dealer for Zante is here,
    33 AL.Roma 29100 Zakinthos Town, this is the road along the Waterfront

You need to purchase an F2G SIM Pack,if your iPhone is locked to a specific network consider purchasing one of the Huawei MiFi units from EBay for £45-60 before you go you can then share your own personal hotspot with your friends whilst still keeping your UK phone number active!

You can cut the sim down to fit into an iphone/ipad but as you need to be able to send text messages from the sim either you or the WIND dealer will need to be able to load the sim into a handset.

You need your passport or Photo ID when you go to the shop to buy the F2G SIM Pack.
    The SIM Pack has a white label with the phone number on it, take a photo of it as you need to know this if you want to top up.

Once the SIM is active you will have 5Mb of data credit.

You than need to add one of the WIND ADSM Non-Stop Data Bundles
    An NS2 (3Gb for 2 Days) or an NS7 (12Gb for 7 Days)
    The information you need is all here

7. m25man macrumors newbie

By the time you have bought an unlocked MiFi and the F2G Sim and the NS2 or 7 packages you wont have any change out of about £100

However with Roaming charges of £2.55 per Mb 1 Gb of Data on your iPhone or iPad will cost you £3133.44p on Orange :eek:

We used 3 Gb in 10 days that's £9400.32p in data charges!

The 3g network is very good all over Greece with some very advanced Meshing systems and Microwave Backhaul you will quickly find lots of wifi bridges everywhere but few "Free" hotspots.

Those that are "Free" normally badly setup in bars and cafe's without client isolation or security and I even found several Man in the Middle systems dotted around Rhodes Old Town staging some rather nasty tricks on the unsuspecting tourists. So be very careful using unsecured WiFi hotspots out there as excessive data charges might be the least of your worries!

8. JayNovae thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou so much for your answers :)

Last thing; If im using a network (wifi) like that which is free, i'm assuming you mean seeing as its not (very) secure, it's best to not be putting in passwords or anything like that while on that network? I'm only really going to use it for my Facebook app so I shouldnt have to login. Are there any other problems with using it?

Thanks so much!