Using iPhone in Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cobra2001, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

I'm going to be traveling to Puerto Rico soon and have been wondering if I will be fine using my iPhone there for voice and data without incurring any additional charges (I have the typical Nation FamilyTalk plan). What I found here and in the comment from at&t's site below, makes it look like I'll be ok:

While using data on iPhone is unlimited within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, international data roaming can get expensive quickly as international roaming rates apply. Voice and data usage, including data usage incurred from delivery of Visual Voicemail messages, will be charged at international rates. For a complete list of countries and rates visit att.com/wirelessinternational. AT&T offers these iPhone International traveling tips to help you keep control of data usage.

On the contrary, anyone have any experience with traveling to PR and using their iPhone and getting hit with extra charges? I hope not, and I think I'm fine, but I just want to make sure. I already asked a rep at at&t but you never know with them ;) Thanks and I appreciate it!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Puerto Rico is considered part of the US by at&t, making it no different than going anywhere else in the US, Hawai'i, or Alaska.

TEG

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I live in PR with my Atlanta account and it works great. No extra charges and excellent coverage. 3G speeds even rival many major US cities. I know cause I travel over 1/2 the year.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Puerto Rico is considered part of the US by everyone else too. ;)

I know the point you were trying to make, I'm just teasing.

5. Cobra2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone! Since I'll be on vacation, I hope to use my phone for nothing other than making necessary calls and using it to find the next fun location on the island! :D

6. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Rent a car and explore the island. Don't just stick to the Old San Juan area otherwise you will not experience but 1/10th of the Puerto Rico's beauty.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Depends. The IOC considers it its own country, as does the UN, and many other international organizations. Most people in the US, think that it is its own country. Smart people know better, but most American's don't know it.

TEG