Using iPhone in the rain...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickhutson, Mar 15, 2009.

1. nickhutson macrumors regular

Is this recommended? I don't have a case, as I find it adds more bulk to the phone, which I don't really want. I bought a case for £20 - and it was terrible. So, I am not going to risk wasting more money on one.

Has anyone had any problems when answering a call in the rain (IE: getting the screen a tiny bit wet)

2. MrTimofTim macrumors newbie

I guess it really depends on the strength of the rain.

I've used mine a couple times when it's been what we call in Merrie Olde England "spits and spots" and it's been fine, just a few drops on the screen, I guess when it's heavier you might want to be careful incase drops get beneath the screen etc. There was a destroy demo, where they dropped it in cereal and a sink, and it was fine, save for a bit of condensation under the screen, which I assume dissapeared.

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you think about it, there aren't much gaps for rain to soak through. Light rain is fine. Common sense would rule here.

5. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

headphone jack

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Indeed. I've seen more than one person denied warranty service because they were in rain at some point, and the jack water indicator was set off.

It should come with a rubber plug like every other phone.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i think using electronics in the water is uuuuussuallly a bad thing :eek:

9. whitemacbook macrumors member

whitemacbook

well actually today I had a chance/cause to use mine in the rain and I did the silly thing of leaving the phone in my pocket while I talked via the headset:)

10. aok1975 macrumors 6502

The iphone water damage indicators are very exposed and sensitive. I would not use mine in any kind of rain, or even if its your pocket and you are walking in some heavy rain, that could damege. Keep it away from any kind of rain.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

And probably the 1st person to complain because Apple denied his claim :rolleyes:
    What is so important that you can't wait until you are done in the shower?

Same here. When I am in the rain I have my phone under my jacket, in a bag, anything to help it. How long are you in the rain anyways you can't wait until you are out of the rain to do your business. The world won't end because you can't answer a phone call, or a text that moment.

12. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

Quite frankly, that advice - whilst prudent - is alarmist nonsense. If it was true no iPhone's would be sold or used in Scotland.

As it is, we have frequent rain and I have frequently used my iPhone in the rain without any problems what so ever.

The idea that a mobile communications device couldn't even be in your pocket during rain is ridiculous - especially in a country where it's always raining!

The iPhone - like all mobile communications devices - needs respect, care and sensible treatment, but using it in bad weather won't destroy it.

13. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Really. Ive seen a lot of people on here complain about being denied warrant exchanges because their water indicators have been triggered, and they claim the phone never fell in water. I wouldnt use mine in any kind of rain, dont want to find out.

14. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Don't we all? How do you protect yours when you're texting in the shower? :eek:

15. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

Really??? People with damaged phones aren't admitting liability? There's a shock! :rolleyes:

As I said, walk around any Northern British town or city you'll notice it rains more often than not - including in the summer. If the kit didn't work in the rain it couldn't be used in the UK.

Apple may design in California but you don't need a California climate to use their products.

16. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

If it is raining out I always just put my finger over the headphones jack that way it will not trip the water sensor.

17. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I've used mine in pretty heavy snow.

It still works.

18. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm always scared of one or two perfectly aimed drops landing right in the headphone jack :/

20. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Same here. That would happen to me with my luck.

21. aok1975 macrumors 6502

the issue is not about if it works or not it's about triggering the water damege sensors and voiding your warranty.

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Doubt anyone will say it's recommended but in the time I've had I got caught in rain while on a call. Other then drops on the screen it's been ok.

23. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

This is basically it.

And more than anything, 'red dot' water phones don't get exchanged - god damn would that piss me off.

24. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Actually, the OP mentioned none of those things:

25. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I don't believe that it is recommended to use it in the Rain. Might want to cover it up a little bit so you don't get it wet. Don't want to mess anything up.