Using iPhone in the US for a couple of weeks...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jon08, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

In September I'll be spending 3 weeks in the US and would like to bring my factory unlocked iPhone 4 (UK) with me. Since I'd like to make calls and send texts etc. using my iPhone while I'm there, I'd need your advice on what my options would be while I'm there?

Is it possible to get some sort of pre-paid microSIM for my iPhone or any such thing for my 3-week stay?

Thanks in advance.

2. epiciphonehack macrumors member

Well call the company you use in the UK and ask them what your coverage areas are. They may just have coverage for you in the US.

If not ask them how you can get service. They'll most likely explain all their methods.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

What I meant was to use a US microSIM during my stay in the US. What are my options for that?

4. epiciphonehack macrumors member

There aren't really prepaid micro-sims though... You might be able to unlock your current sim for use with a prepaid card?

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

No idea.. but is there really not anything I could do about my phone other than roaming while in the US??

Is it only possible to use iPhone over there with a Verizon/AT&T contract or something?

6. phil1995, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

phil1995 macrumors member

You should be able to go to AT&T and get a prepaid sim card. I work for a British company and we have many visitors to the US. Its been a couple of years since I ask, but last time I ask AT&T they said that I could purchase a sim card for our visitors to use on a daily basis. It was pretty reasonable at the time, not sure about now though.

Here is a link that might give you some ideas.

http://nikf.org/post/1300933806/att-pay-as-you-go-iphone-data-guide

Here is a quote from another thread:

Again just go to the AT&T shop and buy a sim pay as you like i paid cash
    The service is great they put the sim in etc. etc.
    I have bought one for Ipone 3 one for Iphone 4, 10 cents a miniute calls
    Don't let you holiday be spoiled by some idiots, wankers
    Wifi every where and calling home and you love ones use skype

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-927316.html

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There was an article about t-mobile offering micro sims for their iPhone users. Unfortunately, no 3G connection with them.
    If you had searched, you would know your best bet is to buy a sim cutter.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you want 3G your only option is to go with AT&T, I'm not sure if they sell prepaid micro sims, but you can always cut one. From what I've heard T-Mobile has better prepaid rates, but because of frequencies the iPhone will only work on EDGE, and again you would have to cut the card down.

9. leanne.. macrumors member

The nice thing about T Mobile is although it's only Edge, unlimited internet is only 1.49/day.....