Using iPhone in UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adauge, Dec 27, 2008.

1. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

I was wondering if there was a way to use my US iPhone 3g in the UK when I go there on a 10 day trip. I thought maybe some O2 users would be able to tell me how the pay as you go works over there and if I could just buy one month to use while I'm there.

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I think you will need a roaming plan added to your phone

US phones are locked to ATT and UK phones are locked to O2, so you can not put a UK O2 sim in a US phone

The way PAYG works over here is you buy the phone for £342/£391 and there is no contract, you then get supplied with a sim which gives you 12 months free data.
    We can also put any O2 sim in the phone, but this will most likely cost you for data usage (sure you could put the settings in to get it for free)

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Just buy a data package for your trip.

when I went to Italy this year I paid £20 for 10mb of data... naturally, I went WELL over but I was out there for a month.

4. adauge thread starter macrumors regular

adauge

Ok, thanks. That's what I was wondering, if I could put another sim in my phone. I can get att data roaming package but I am just worried about going over and paying a $1000 phone bill.

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

If you are JUST coming to the UK, it might be worth looking for TurboSim solution and just getting a Pay And Go Simcard from a UK provider and attach it to the TurboSim and put in your phone.

Google it for more info.

6. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Or just wait till the new year... and unlock your phone and get a PAYG SIM when you get there.