Using iPhone Internationally

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roessnakhan, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm going to be studying in England for the upcoming academic year and I recently just sold my 1G iPhone (GoPhone). I've been debating getting a 3G iPhone in the UK or US and then using it in the UK but I was wondering what would be the feasibility in transferring a US (AT&T) to UK (O2) or vise versa?

The iPhone was really great in me keeping track of all my schedules and communications, and the current phone I'm using (cheap-o pay as you go) would obviously falter in that. I just don't want to get a phone that I would have to unlock and possibly brick in my travels.

Thanks!

2. rammy macrumors member

I can't see the possibility of swapping providers being an option as the two companies (O2 and AT&T) have no relationship and would therefore be losing revenue by letting you do this. The only option I can suggest is that you buy the phone on contract (in the US, to get the cheaper phone) and then purchase an iPhone PAYG sim when you get to the UK.

Oh, and I'd suggest buying it from the US (I can't actually rember the price dif' but...) as you can be sure it will be cheaper - we usually get ripped off this (UK) side of the pond.

Lastly, enjoy the England!!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Which won't work because the US purchased iPhone will be locked to AT&T, and won't accept an o2 SIM.

Your best hope is that a full unlock becomes available for the iPhone allowing the use of any SIM. Though I still don't know what luck you'll have getting early release or suspension of your AT&T contract. You may find you just have to end up paying twice (contract in US & UK PAYG).

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well with O2's latest pricing I wouldn't be too sure about that. ;)
    Although I probably am being far too optimistic.

5. Roessnakhan thread starter macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Thanks guys! I think I'll stay with my cheap-o Motorola rather than tempt fate and risk having to pay penalties on two providers. :p

6. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

You also might want to call AT&T and see if they will let you out of the contract fee free. Sometimes if you explain that you are moving somewhere they don't have servcie they will let you out of the contract.

7. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

If it won't work in Europe/you can't switch the SIM card then what's the point of GSM???