Using iPhone internationally

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macnewbie13, Aug 13, 2008.

1. macnewbie13 macrumors member

I checked to see if this was already posted and I didnt find it, so I hope it already wasnt asked.... I am going to be studying abroad in Spain from August to December and I wasnt sure what the easiest way is for me to be able to use my iPhone while I am there... should I get an international plan from AT&T that reduced the cost of using the phone while traveling, or should I buy a pre-paid Spanish sim card that will give me a Spanish number but will greatly reduce the costs (i just googled international Sim cards and I found many places I can do that from)... I dont know if I will be able to put another sim card in the phone without it bricking, or needing a PUK which I do not have.... any insight into this will be very, very helpful!!! Thanks

p.s. I plan on using my iPhone like I use it now: calls to and from the US and to people I'm traveling with, texts(if possible), internet use

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you have a 3G you HAVE to get an at&t International plan. If you have an original, you could unlock it to use a local SIM. Also, PUK codes are available on the at&t site, and would deal with the at&t SIM.

TEG

3. RJ17 macrumors regular

Even the international plan is very expensive if you plan on using you phone just like you do now.

Spain is .99 a minute even with the international plan.

ATT International Calling Information

4. macnewbie13 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, that's what I saw already and what I was afraid of.... I just might end up renting a phone from over there which the program recommends anyway, and just save the iphone for music and wi-fi areas

5. rayward macrumors 65816

It's the data roaming that has cost careless users dear. AT&T's international data packages are limited (max of 50MB/month) and very expensive (an extra $60/month for the 50MB option). If you start emailing photos, you'll blow through 50 meg pretty quickly. If you get hooked on YouTube, you'll be done in no time at all. Then it's dollars per kB and here comes your $4,000 bill.

6. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Get a payg SIMYO sim card.. 9ct/min anywhere in Spain. It's one of the cheapest. As for the iPhone.. i'm afraid it won't be of much use here.. data plans are VERY expensive for pay as you go..

If you need anything else just let me know. I live in Barcelona :)

7. macnewbie13 thread starter macrumors member

I also still have my old AT&T phone that i could use instead, i could get an international Sim card for that phone and then ill have the phone, but no texts or internet, which will save me money, and like i said just save the iPhone for music and Wi-Fi areas, and just turn the network connection off