Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davebc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
QUESTION:

I'm on a business plan so therefore I can't use an iPhone on my current plan. I've heard somewhere that if I activate and jailbreak the new OTB 1.1.2 iPhone, then I can stick my old Cingular sim into the phone and use it without having to change my plan. Is this true? Or do I have to unlock it to use it with my old Cingular sim??? Thanks!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yup. Out of box iPhone 1.1.2 can be software jailbreaked / activated to use existing AT&T SIM cards. You don't have to SIM unlock (currently impossible).

davebc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
So nothing else needs to be installed on it, I just activate and jailbreak it and I will be able to stick my old sim in there?

Sorry for the excessive questioning, I just don't want to spend $400 on it if I can't use it.

davebc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Do I have to activate/jailbreak it a certain way to make it work with my old sim? Or if I just activate and jailbreak it will I be able to stick my Cingular sim from my other phone in it?

Kenal0

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Do I have to activate/jailbreak it a certain way to make it work with my old sim? Or if I just activate and jailbreak it will I be able to stick my Cingular sim from my other phone in it?

That is correct, Jailbreak and activate. You need to make sure you have a data plan. I am using the sim from my ATT Blackberry so the BB data plan covers it.
Any unlimited data plan will work so if you currently have for example a Razr, you can add an unlimited plan and you should be fine. You will also have to add a text plan if you do not have one as well.
Kenal0

jside

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
question

if i also have an att sim card...do i have to downgrade to 1.1.1 then upgrade back to 1.1.2 with oktoprep in order to use my sim card?

rlowe44

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
Just a warning; I have an OLD AT&T SIM card in an old Siemens phone, and it will not work in any iPhone. It also can't support a data plan. Call your local AT&T office and they can tell you if it will or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.