Using iPhone Overseas wpW/ AT&T Roaming vs. Gevey Unlock & Local SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocolatemilty, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

So, I'll be traveling to Germany and Italy with my study abroad group through my university this August-September, as well as traveling to Switzerland, France, and back to Germany. Due to my country-hopping throughout these 5 weeks, I've been debating if I should use AT&T's roaming solutions (even if I don't like their pricing) or try the Gevey SIM unlock solution and use local SIMs. Now, I'd like to be able to use limited data to snap photos & upload to Tumblr for my travel blog and maybe check social media and email while away, but mostly just the travel blog uploading and updating.

I'm wondering if MacRumors Forums' well-traveled folks use AT&T's solutions vs. unlocking and local SIMs or vice-versa and how you went about it. I'd absolutely love to get a factory-unlocked iPhone, but unless I find a trade deal on Craigslist (super shady), I definitely can't afford that.

Thanks!

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Say you need the iPhone for school use, and write it off on your taxes. Boom. Free iPhone. I got a "free" MBP by writing it off a business expense for my freelance work. It's a funny thing, American taxes...

3. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

That very well may work in the long run, but there's no way I can give up $650+ right now for a factory-unlocked one. Even if I was able to sell my iPhone 4, I'd be out of some $200 or so right now. That's a little more than I can spend right now.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That's really only helpful if you're already in a bracket/position where you can itemize deductions. A lot of people aren't, unfortunately.

If I were stuck with a baseband that can't be unlocked, and traveling only for a few days or a week, I'd probably stick with AT&T. Most places have wifi available for free in cafes and hotels, so unless you're backpacking in the middle of nowhere, it's probably not that big a deal. Hubby and I spent a week in Ireland two years ago this way and did just fine--came in under our 20MB limit each, though we had to be very conscious about not using data. Actually, I have friends who flew over to Dublin today who are going this route; a $10 AT&T international texting plan for a very minimal number of texts to send home, the cheapest int'l data plan, and a LOT of wifi use. It takes creative management and a bit of planning, but it's doable. Just be careful using public wifi for anything that you normally would keep secured (passwords, etc.)

For a longer trip though, I'd probably do the Gevey routine. I can't imagine a really lengthy trip in a place I wasn't familiar with without access to things like maps and tourist sites "on the fly". Most European countries seem to have prepaid SIMs available, and the authentic Geveys seem to be decently reliable (the fakes are another story).

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I was mostly kidding anyways haha. But it's definitely nice as a freelance artist to get a free computer ;) hahaha

Get a credit card? IDK if you are able to get approved or not, but this seems like a useful and responsible time to use some plastic.

I'm a credit card junkie and i'll be the first to tell you that it can get out of control, fast, but if all you are gonna buy is a phone, it's a nice option to buy now, pay later. Sometimes there's actually a use for it :)

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Truth! LOL You got me thinking I should work on writing off ours. :D

7. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I'm also going to be going to Italy, however I'm going for a few months. So I think it would be good for me to just unlock my iPhone yes? If so does anyone no of the cell phone plans there and what is the best in Italy?