Using iphone sim card in another phone [UK O2]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joe8232, Nov 22, 2007.

1. joe8232 macrumors regular

Hi,

I am going to be going to a party at the weekend [anyone who is interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:St_Andrews_Quad.jpg] and don't particularly want to bring my iphone so I was wondering whether I can take the sim card out and put it in an older unlocked phone.

Thanks

2. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

3. afd macrumors 6502a

It does work, i put it in my SE K800 to send one text to all my mobile contacts with my new number. O2 contract says not too, but they probably won't do anything about it unless you start downloading loads of data on a laptop or something.

4. Sin macrumors regular

When you did that, do you remember if your phone got a 3G connection or just GSM?

5. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

In the official iPhone User Guide it states in the Tips and Troubleshooting section the following:-

If you need to send your iPhone in for service or if you want to loan your iPhone to
    someone and you still want to be able to make calls, you may be able to use the SIM
    card inside iPhone with another GSM phone.

So yes, you can use it in another phone (although I can;t imagine ever 'lending mine to anyone' ;)

6. joe8232 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that thworple - I really didn't fancy taking my iphone to a gigantic foam fight!

7. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Damn straight - my birthday is next week, and we're going on a Pub-Golf crawl (18 pubs/holes in a four hour round) - don't really want to take my new toy with me in my drunken stupor.

8. laz305 macrumors regular

hey can someone who has done this just tell me does it affect anything when you place the sim card back into your iPhone to use it again? I know it shouldn't but I'm being paranoid...hehe

9. Jessoh1 macrumors newbie

Help

My iPhone sim card doesn't work in any of the unlocked phones i've tried it with, it only says "sim card registration failed"

any idea what that means?

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

It should work, I have used it with my old HTC, served the net, received emails etc. When i put it back, no problems with the iphone.

11. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Yeah, it's officially supported - to be honest, I used it as a little white lie to get them to enable MMS for.... reasons that can't be discussed here. :)

12. AliFun3 macrumors member

yep works fine, i have been doing it for a few months now and hasnt affected anything although havent tried putting my sim back into an iphone.

13. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Sorry to bump this thread, but saves me starting another. I'm going to be selling my iPhone soon mid-contract and will buy the new one when it comes out (summer?). Anyhow, I know I can put the sim in an unlocked phone, and back again as have done this several times, but never into another smartphone. Does anyone know if my data plan will be OK, will I be able to browse, check emails etc from the new phone (nokia)?

14. afd macrumors 6502a

It'll work but o2 will notice. I bought a pre-pay iPhone sim to tether with my k800, after a few weeks I got a text to say they'd move me to a non iPhone tarrif. And loose the free data

15. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Hmm, but on contract that could mean a cheaper rental. Well, only goingto be for a few months, then back to the 'new' iPhone.

16. afd macrumors 6502a

Just been looking at O2's site, their Simplicity smartphone tariff is the same price as the iphone one. £20 for 300 minutes, unlimited data and unlimited texts. Changing to that one till new iphone comes out might be worth doing